The Space Rock (8)

3rd View

It was a few days after Halloween. Henry and Maebel hadn't talked, hung out, messaged; nothing. The only time they acknowledged each other was when it was for work. Maebel didn't mention anything to Ray or Charlotte, she wanted to keep the situation quiet. Charlotte, however, suspected some tension between the two, but of course, she wasn't dumb; she could sense awkwardness.

Maebel, Henry, and Gooch were all in Junk-N-Stuff, moving a seven-thousand-pound space rock around with a crane. When Gooch stopped it, Henry went to move a fake potted plant, but the foreign man stopped him.

"No, no," Gooch said, "Move all those things to the side,"

Henry walked back over and gripped onto the rolling cart, "Alright, alright,"

The shop door opened as the bell rang, revealing Charlotte, with a box of corn dogs.

"Hey, you guys," Charlotte smiled.

"Hey," Henry greeted.

"You're late for work," Gooch complained.

"It's not my fault," Charlotte defended, "There was a line at The Corn Doggery," she stood in front of the crane.

"You got us corn dogs?" Maebel beamed.

"Yeah, girl," Charlotte giggled.

Maebel reached for the breaded treat on a stick.

"This is not corn dog time," Gooch said.

Maebel frowned and retracted her hand.

"Okay, give me a corn dog," he giggled.

Charlotte gave him one and Henry and Maebel reached for one, brushing their hands against each other. Maebel quickly pulled her arm back. Charlotte sighed and slapped Henry's hand away. She lifted one out of the foam and handed it to Maebel. Maebel smiled at her and stuffed her face.

"So, what is all this?" Charlotte asked, looking up at the rock.

"That," Henry shoved his corn dog toward the alien object, "is a big rock."

"From outer space," Gooch trailed.

"No," Charlotte turned around, "I mean, what's this crane for?"

"To move the rock," Maebel took a bite out of her corn dog, "It weighs over seven-thousand pounds."

"Wow," Charlotte looked back at Gooch, "Can I borrow this crane to move my big Uncle Rosco? Cause, he's been on our couch since Christmas," 

Gooch started fiddling with the machine, "Darn it. Which one of these controls makes the-"

The rock dropped out of the crane's grasp and fell through the shop floor, through many other layers, and finally grew far enough away where the people in Junk-N-Stuff couldn't hear it crash anymore.

"You dropped the rock," Henry informed.

"Wow, that thing's gonna fall all the way down to the Man Cave," Charlotte said.

The lot nodded their heads in agreement.

"Ray!" Maebel realized.

Henry ran to grab the walkie-talkie on the counter and spoke into it, "Ray, there's a seven-thousand-pound space rock on its way down there," Henry paused for a second, "Ray, you there?"

"What happened?" Maebel asked.

"I don't know," Henry turned back to the device in his hand, "Ray, a very heavy rock is about to crash through your ceiling,"