😫5

If you were a sleep-deprived engineering student three cans of Monster deep who, in their 4AM haze, invented a time machine to go back to freshman year, and you told your eighteen-year-old self that you would be living under the same damn roof as Kim Taehyung in two years time, freshman year you would probably sock you in the face. And ask you if you changed majors. Which, you did.

It's not a far reach to wonder why. By the time October rolled around, the two of you had already established yourselves as archenemies until the end of time.

It was a natural progression, really. Two tiny dorm rooms right next to each other, two beds pressed up against opposite sides of the same paper-thin wall, and two disgruntled freshmen trying their hardest not to die of alcohol poisoning.

Now, you don't have a track record for going to sleep at a reasonable hour. In fact, you don't think you've gone to bed before 11PM since middle school. But is it really that irrational of you to want to get some well-deserved shuteye at two in the morning after a long day of procrastination and a long night of doing the studying you should have done during the day? Your roommate is fast asleep across from you, having gone to sleep at midnight like a regular college student who has her life together, which means that she's immune to the fact that right next door, i can hear nothing but pounding drums making the very linoleum floor of your dormitory shake.

Scowling, i scramble out of bed, sliding on your shoes to go give a certain Kim Taehyung a bit of a reprimanding.

Why the fuck does he listen to heavy drums at two in the morning? What the fuck is he doing? Does he not own headphones, or anything that might restrict the sound to his own two ears and nothing else? Does he not have any respect for the people next door to him that might also have to listen to the sound of a thumping bass while they're trying to go to sleep?

Some of you have 9AM's tomorrow morning. And by some of you, i mean me.

I quietly shut the door behind you so as not to wake my opposite roommate, dead-bolting it so you don't get locked out and have to trudge down to the Help Desk looking like a tired piece of non-recyclable garbage, and immediately bang on Kim Taehyung's door. He hasn't got a roommate, and I know he's awake, which means that if he doesn't respond, you'll know why.

Surprisingly enough, he does, opening the door and immediately grinning once he sees who's on the other side, like he can't get enough of the fact that his mere existence bothers you.

"It's 2AM," i tell him, in lieu of a greeting.

He checks his watch. "That it is."

"Would you mind turning down the music? I'm trying to go to sleep."

"This late, dahyun?" Taehyung asks, an eyebrow raised. "No wonder you're always so cranky."

"Maybe it's because my next-door neighbor plays loud fucking music when I'm trying to go to sleep!" i say, already beginning to raise my voice like a loser who can't control her emotions.

Which is exactly what you are, actually. So this is very on brand for you.

"Hmm, never thought about it that way," Taehyung says innocently. He's got a gleam in his eye that says otherwise.

"I'm being very nice to you right now, Kim Taehyung. Please turn your music down. Because it's loud and you're probably bothering other people as well," i say, restraining yourself. If you were any more sleep-deprived you'd storm into his room and pound in his face like it was the fucking drums he's listening to.

"But you're my only neighbor," Taehyung says, a bitter reminder that i was unlucky enough to be the second-to-last room in the corridor, and he, the very last one.

I inhale, trying to not lose your cool despite having probably already lost it. Kim Taehyung makes you want to tear your eyeballs out. Or buy heavy-duty earplugs off of Amazon Prime. The thing is, one of those options costs you money, and one is entirely free. So, it's not difficult to see which one you're leaning towards.

"Taehyung, please turn your music down, or so help me God. I'm asking nicely," i can feel the carbon dioxide paths coming from your nose as i breathe, in and out and in and out.

"Just for you, dahyun," Taehyung says with a grin. God. i could just straight sock him in the face right now. "It helps me focus, but so does getting to see you."

"Perish immediately," i tell him sharply before pulling the door shut, marching back off to your room.

True to his word, Kim Taehyung does turn off his music. Or puts in headphones. At least he's conceded.

That is, until you wake up to a crash of glass later that morning at 7AM, coming from only one direction.

The fact of the matter is, everything me and Taehyung did that year bothered the other so immensely that hatred, pure, unadulterated dislike, was really the only thing that could have come out of it.