😫22

"No, it's alright," she hisses through gritted teeth before turning her sights on someone else. Someone without a friend to protect them.

"Thanks," Taehyung whispers once she's gone. Even though she's probably not coming back, Taehyung keeps you close, a hand on you at all times like you'll fly away if he doesn't hold on tight.

"Of course," i tell him. "You'd do the same for me."

"She scared me," Taehyung says, and if his red face is anything to go by, it's clear that he's pretty much reached his alcohol intake limit. "I'm glad you came."

"I could tell you didn't want to talk to her," i say.

"Because I wanted to talk to you," Taehyung says, and it's definitely the alcohol that's erased his filter. "I was waiting for you to come out of the bathroom and she just came up to me and started flirting with me. I think she wanted to get in my pants. I didn't want her to get into my pants."

"I know."

"I'd much rather be with you than with her. Than with anybody else. I would always want to be with you, instead." He tells you, keeping my hands firmly intertwined as i lean against the bartender counter.

And well, huh. That's different. Taehyung's aforementioned lack of a filter means that any thoughts that run through his mind immediately turn into spoken words, but you weren't expecting those words. You never thought you;d hear them, not in a million goddamn years.

"Okay, Tae," i say, patting him assuringly. He's just drunk. That's all.

"I'm serious, dahyun," Taehyung tells me firmly, pushing my comforting hand off of his shoulder and turning to face you directly. "I mean it."

"I know, Tae." i reassure him. It's easier than trying to fight him, especially when he's this hammered. i check the time on my phone. Maybe it's time to leave. If you go now, you'll be able to make it back by midnight. "Let's go home, okay? I'm ready to go home."

Wordlessly, Taehyung nods, and the two of you leave the club before people are even thinking about ringing in the New Year.

When we reach Taehyung's apartment, he takes off his leather jacket to hang on the coat rack and turns the television on. Only three minutes to midnight.

"I had fun," i say, trying to lighten the conversation. The way back was silent, the only noises the sounds of New Year's Eve parties on every block i turned onto. Taehyung kept his face forward and his eyes ahead, even as you tried to huddle close to him to conserve the warmth.

"It was sort of fun," Taehyung halfheartedly agrees.

"Did you drink too much?" i ask. His face is still beet red.

"I don't think I drank enough."

Two minutes to midnight.

I frown, brows furrowing. Why on Earth would Taehyung want to drink more? What would change if he had another shot, a can of beer or a little cocktail?

Slowly, i begin to peel off my own layers, resting my coat on the back of the couch and slipping off your boots. The both of you stand in his living room as the TV begins to buzz with excitement, the broadcast of Times Square lighting up the otherwise silent, tense atmosphere. He's only a couple of feet away but it feels like he couldn't be farther from you.

One minute to midnight. Everybody begins to count down, and i feel muself holding your breath.

"Will you be alright going to sleep?" i ask. Even if Taehyung's still drunk, he's far less bouncy than he was at the club.

"I'll be fine. Goodnight, dahyun," he says, beginning to walk past.

Three.

"Okay."

Two.

"Okay."

One.

Something overtakes Taehyung, something quick and brief. He stops right next to you and flinches, like he wants to lean in and do something, anything, goddamnit, but stops himself before he goes through with it. Everyone on television is cheering, but this apartment couldn't be less festive even if you tried.

Taehyung sends you a small smile as the world rings in the new year, dashing off to his bedroom and slamming the door behind him.

And i stand there, in the middle of his living room like the goddamn fool you are. Turning to the television, i watch over and over as every couple in Times Square kisses, clip after clip after clip, and like a goddamn idiot, i thought that Taehyung would do the same thing. 

i mean we arent anything more then friends i guess.