Chapter 2: The Quadwizard Tournament

Athena walked into the great hall, only to be presented by her father, Dumbledore, Viktor, Fred, George, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Oliver around a chocolate cake with a small, moving figure on a broom with the number '17' on the back on her shirt.

"Happy birthday to you" they all sang. Athena started laughing at the happy sight.

"Happy birthday to you" more people were joining in now.

"Happy birthday dear Athena, happy birthday to you!"

There was a round of applause as she blew out the candles on the cake.

"Happy birthday missy" Karkaroff told Athena, handing her a large gift. She started to unwrap the paper to reveal a brand new Firebolt broom, with 'ATHENA KARKAROFF' engraved in sliver on the handle- causing Oliver to stare in awe at the gift. 

"Thank you." She said. Karkaroff nodded at her.

"Oh and Athena," He said. "Your mother wanted you to have this". He handed her a long box with 'Ollivanders' on the top. She opened it to show a 12 3/4 length Firwood wand, that twisted all the way up. It was beautiful.

"It was your mothers wand," Karkaroff explained gently. "Phoenix feather core. It's perfect for you" 

"Go on, cast a spell!" George said. Karkaroff nodded. She aimed the wand at a goblet, then quickly said: 'Geminio!'. The goblet duplicated instantly, having all the same dents and scratches.

Dumbledore nodded, leaving alongside Karkaroff, leaving her with her mostly new friends.

***

"You know," Ron said through a mouthful of English breakfast. "You're lucky it's your birthday today" He said to Athena.

"Why's that?" she asked.

"Since the competitors are being announced today, there's going to be a massive party in the room of requirement until the morning!" Ron explained. "It's the biggest party we've ever had!" He exclaimed. 

"Hallowe'en feast followed by a party with no professors!" Fred said to her and Krum. "It's the best night of the school year! No one misses it, not even the speccy Ravenclaws!"

"Not to mention it's your birthday Theenie" George said to Athena.

"Theenie?" Athena asked him. "Should I call you Georgie then?" They all burst out laughing.

"You can if you'd like," Goerge said, smiling at her.

Everyone was chatting and laughing, Oliver and Viktor saying that they had entered the tournament, everyone else in envy of their age, but Athena couldn't take her eyes off of George. She took in his messy, ginger hair, that he flicked out his face occasionally. His freckles decorated gently on his face, his beautiful brown eyes. He turned to look at her, giving her a quick wink before returning to the conversation.

***

 Viktor, Fred, George, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Oliver, Luna and Athena spent the day touring the castle and talking in the Gryffindor common room, then, the feast came. They ate traditional French food and pumpkin pie. Ron had been eating bouillabaisse, a french food, when a girl with magnificent silver hair from beauxbatons asked him for it. He started acting very strange around her, stuttering and looking flustered.

Then, the well-awaited drawing ceremony.

Dumbledore explained how it worked, then proceed to call out the names. The goblet turned red, and a piece of parchment flew into Dumbledore's hand.

"The Durmstrang champion is... VIKTOR KRUM!" Dumbledore declared. The hall roared with applause. Viktor was the champion! Athena was ecstatic for him.

He walked to the top of the hall and went into the room indicated by Dumbledore.

"The Beauxbatons champion is... FLUER DELACOUR!" Dumbledore said again.

The same girl who Ron had gotten flustered over strutted up toward the room, her silver hair swishing elegantly.

"And the final champion... CEDRIC DIGGORY!" 

The shouting from the Hufflepuff table was so loud, you couldn't hear any of the clapping from any of the other tables. Cedric went up and disappeared into the room. When all of a sudden the Goblet turned a deep red. Dumbledore caught the 4th piece of paper as it flew out of the goblet. The room was silent and tense. George seemed slightly panicked. "There's a fourth champion" He whispered to her. She looked up at his face, seeing he was pale, all his freckles disappearing slightly. In all of the books Athena had read in the library about the tournament, none had stated a fourth champion. Something was wrong, a sick feeling twist curled her stomach. Someone had rigged the goblet.

Dumbledore took the final piece of parchment. 

"Harry Potter" he merely whispered. Athena's stomach filled with dread, her head with confusion.

The room fell silent. George squeezed Athena's hand as Harry stood up and slowly walked toward the door. He was followed by Dumbledore, MgGonanagal, Snape and Professor Moody. The door slammed shut. The rest of the Professors rushed out of the hall toward the staff room, one shouted:

"YOU ARE ALL DISMISSED!" 

The gossip instantly rushed around the hall, people muttering and questioning what had just happened. Athena turned to Hermione and Ginny. 

"Let's go to my room and get ready" she stated quickly. They nodded in acceptance, standing up. 

***

"Wow" Ginny exclaimed, entering Athena's room. Hermione walked in as Athena shut the door.

"There's a party tonight, right?" Athena said.

"Right" Hermione answered. 

"So, who do we want to go with?" Athena said sitting on the bed. She was trying to distract from the events. Ginny gave a slight sigh.

"I would love to go with Harry, but I think he likes that Cho Chang girl in the fifth year." She looked ever so slightly angry. "I mean, who would like her, she's just so annoying!" She buried her head into both of her hands.

Hermione and Athena rushed to comfort her.

"I'm sure Harry will come around eventually," Hermione said. "Besides, isn't she with Cedric Diggory?" 

Ginny looked up, fists clenched. 

"You're right, I'm making a fuss over nothing," Ginny said, massaging her face. "Let's get ready.". She said with a smile.

Ginny went first. She wore baggy jeans, an oversized white shirt with a leather jacket draped over her shoulders. Her long ginger hair was flipped to the side, and her lips had a red tint. She looked much older than 13 now. Hermione had a red off-the-shoulder dress and black flats, her brown hair half up in a bun. The girls sat on Athena's bed, waiting for her to finish.

"Are you alright Athena?" Hermione called. Athena slid the bathroom door open. She looked stunning in a black silk bodycon dress with strappy black heels. Her hair was in a half-up, half-down style, mascara on her long lashes, and winged eyeliner framing her eyes. 

"Let's go girls!" Athena said.