Chapter 23: Malfoy maladies

"Professor?"
Athena sat in her office, writing up a seating plan for her new NEWT class, which included Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco. McGonagall had walked in, concern on her face.
"Yes?" Athena responded.
"One of our students has been cursed." She said.
"Who?" Athena said, rising out of her seat.
"Katie bell"
"Who cursed her?"
"She was cursed by a necklace she found in the three broomsticks bathrooms" Minerva said gravely. "Potter is convinced it's Malfoy, so I thought I'd let you know"
"Thank you, professor. I'll go see Harry immediately: do you know what lesson he's in?"
"Free period, I believe"
"Excellent. See you shortly Minerva!"
Athena rushed to the common room, stepping in as soon as the portrait swung open. Harry was slouched in an arm-chair with Hermione and Ron, crook-shanks curled up on the floor next to them.
"Ah, Harry. Just the person" Athena said, sitting next to Hermione.
"Can I help, professor?" Harry asked.
"Yes, I think you can," Athena scanned the room, leaning in. "What makes you believe Draco cursed Katie?"
Harry took a small breath, preparing himself. "Well, you know we saw him in Borgin and Burke's during the holidays, and well, Hermione went in after him and asked if the necklace was reserved by Draco- he just told her to leave- so we thought he did it, it only makes sense!"
"Well, I suppose it could be but I seriously doubt it, Harry. Also, it was extremely irresponsible to go in after Draco! Knockturn alley is very dangerous!" Athena said.
"Sorry, professor" Hermione quickly said.
"If I catch wind that you've taken Ginny anywhere near that place, your head will be on the block" Athena responded sternly.
"Don't worry, I won't let her" Ron assured her.
***
Wondering around the Castle at night was very therapeutic for Athena, just her and the sounds of distant chatter with occasional hoot from an owl. The cold, stone walls welcomed her, and the warm, aromatic air filled her. By six o'clock in the evening, the corridors were deserted, leaving anyone who desired a walk plenty of room to wander around, and plenty of open corridors to investigate. Athena simply walked wherever her feet carried her, her wand neatly tucked in one of her pockets. She heard a distinct crying coming from one of the classrooms. She pressed her ear to a wooden door, indemnify the room as the bearer of the gentle sobs. Athena pushed open the door, presenting Hermione sat on a desk, her head in her hands- and peculiar canaries fluttering around her.
"Oh, Hermione!" Athena said gently, walking toward her. "Whatever is the matter?"
"I don't believe that you'll understand, professor" Hermione said through sobs, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.
Athena sat on the desk beside her. "Why don't we see if I can understand your dilemma?" She asked.
"I- I..." Hermione stuttered before lunging into Athena's sisterly embrace. "Oh, I can't lie to you!"
"Then tell me. I'm not here to judge you— unless it's your homework"
Hermione let out a small giggle. "Well- the truth is... Ron kissed a girl"
"- and you really like him?" She asked before Hermione had finished.
"Oh, I don't know! I feel so angry and jealous- but I've never really cared before!"
"So you can lie to me! Even I know that you care about him"
"I don't know what to do, Athena!"
"Tell him how you feel"
"I have, but he's just so ignorant and self-pitying-"
Hermione was cut off by Harry appearing through the door.
"I think you should start by telling Harry- he probably already knows!" Athena said, sliding off the desk.
"Tell me what?" Harry asked.
Athena exited quickly, leaving them to talk in peace. As she shut the door, Ron and Lavender spilled out of the common room, so tightly intertwined that she was convinced that someone had placed a merging jinx on them.
"Ronald Weasley!" Athena snapped, separating the pair instantly. His mouth was smeared with pink gloss, causing her to recoil in disgust at the sight- she simply shook her head in a way that told him 'don't enter that classroom'.
But of course, Ron and Lavender had gone in, followed by shouting and screeching, and many slams of doors.
Athena simply nodded to herself before walking toward her dorm where she would retire for the night.
***
Horace Slughorn's party had been the talk of the staff room, him boasting about all of his guests and how amazing it will be. Athena had been invited, purely because of her relation to Viktor, with the opportunity of a plus-one guest: so, as expected, she sent Moshten to Weasley Wizard Wheezes with a special invite to the castle for George. She alerted the Aurors of his upcoming arrival, his question being 'what were you doing before you proposed to Athena?"
He arrived in a simple outfit consisting of smart black trousers with an orange waistcoat, and a silky, black tie. Athena wore a simple satin black dress with simple black heels, and an orange hairband to compliment George's outfit. They walked in, Athena clutching his arm as Horace greeted them.
"Ah, Mr and soon-to-be Mrs Weasley!" Slughorn had said- Athena had never been referred to as 'soon-to-be Mrs Weasley' but she wasn't complaining. "I've seen your business in town: doing quite well, I believe?"
"Yeah, it doing alright" George had responded as the man jumped to another guest.
'Nightmare' Athena mouthed to him.
It seemed as though every party ended on a bad note for her- as this time, Harry was again frantically explaining to her something he overheard.
"Wait, wait, wait- slow down. What was that about a secret plan?" She asked, Harry, talking quickly.
"Maybe it's time to give my dear cousin a visit" she said once Harry finished.
"Not before Christmas, you're not!" George said, turning to Luna. "Have you seen a Dean Thompson? Possibly dating my sister?"
Athena scanned the room for Ginny, instead finding Cormac McLaggen luring An uncertain Hermione underneath the mistletoe.
"Hold this," she said, handing George her butterbeer before setting off. She hurried to Hermione, grasping her arm and pulling her away from Cormac as he leaned in. "Sorry McLaggen, I need a word with granger".
Athena pulled her toward, harry, Luna and George. "McLaggen, seriously?" She asked.
"He's the one Ron would get most jealous over!" Hermione responded.
"I don't think Ron's jealousy is worth that arrogant idiot!"
"I don't know what I was thinking!" She replied. "You're just practically my saviour now!"
"Call it magic, Hermione" Athena said with a wink.
***
Athena walked into the kitchen of the burrow, seeing Harry and Ron peeling sprouts.
"Fred reckons his left buttock hasn't been the same since!" Ron said, not noticing Athena.
"Fred's left what?" Athena giggled as she flicked her wand in between them, peeling all the sprouts instantly.
"I was about to ask!" Fred said as George walked in behind him.
"I was talking about the time you nearly made me make an unbreakable vow" Ron replied, taking a seat opposite Athena.
"You did what?" She laughed, turning toward the twins.
"He's not wrong," Fred said. "Hasn't been the same at all!"
"So, Ron, what's all this with Lavender Brown as Ginny has told us?" George asked.
"None of your business!" Ron snapped.
"Has she incurred any major brain damage?" Fred asked.
"No, I just think Ron has a vision problem because he can't seem to see what's right in front of him!" Athena replied, Harry, letting out a small laugh.
"She's not ugly!" Ron said.
"I never said she was" Athena replied.
"5 galleons on that she is!" Fred said, turning to George.
"I'm not prepared to lose that bet!" George laughed.
Molly walked in, arms full of washing.
"Athena, dear, are you alright to stay with Ginny tonight? Bill needs to stay in the twins room while Remus stays" she said.
"Absolutely fine" Athena responded, George letting out a small sigh.
"Well, Fluer may also be in Ginny's room when she arrives-" molly continued.
"That'll make her Christmas!" Fred's muttered.
"I'm sure me and Ginny will be fine" Athena remarked.
***
Athena awoke on Christmas morning to Ginny staring directly at her while Fleur complained about the bed, eventually going to see Bill. George appeared a moment later, his hair a mess and dark bags under his eyes.
"Phlegm acts like a pig and Bill snores like one!" He said as he sat on the bed. "Match made in hell".
Athena had given Ginny new quidditch goggles, Tonks, a self-care kit, molly, a cook-book, Arthur, a variety of muggle sweets, Hermione, a pack of her favourite biscuits, Ron, a beginners guide to dating, Harry, a hair-grooming kit, Fred, a photo book filled with the process of the joke shop and all its products, bill, a new mug, Viktor, a bottle of butterbeer and chocolate, and George, an exploding chocolate bouquet.
She had received her annual knitted jumper, a guide to complex jinxes from Tonks, a muggle astronomy book from Hermione, sweets from Ron, owl treats for Moshten from Harry, a 'guide to being a wife' from Fred, a variety of coffee from Bill, Rakia from Viktor, and a hollowed-out book filled with cheer-me-up chocolate from George.
***
At dinner, Percy seemingly arrived out of the blue with the minister of magic, wishing his mother a Merry Christmas, but not bothering with anyone else. Athena could feel the icy glare radiating from her fiancé- she gripped his hand, telling him not to do anything stupid in a whisper.

A deadly Silence lingered, just as Ginny took a large handful of leftover food, throwing it at Percy, landing with a splat. Fred was quick to join, as was George, and surely enough, Percy stormed out of the house, red in the face as Molly screamed at them while crying.