Chapter 4: The Patronus

Defence against the dark arts was always Athena's strong point. She had always been a spectacularly strong witch, winning against professors and students in duels. Durmstrang taught the dark arts, which she thought was ludicrous, and made some of the students a nasty enemy. Athena had thought that a brain drunk with power, would always lose, as power can only be achieved with knowledge, something so strong that people who are drunk can not obtain it. This is what made her powerful, her common knowledge and wit, her vigilance and awareness, and her skill. Athena and Viktor were half-bloods, their mother being a muggle-born, which added to their conflict with Aleksi, who came from a long line of Bulgarian purebloods: However, Athena knew that blood status had no input into a witch or wizards power, it was determination and knowledge that made them powerful. She had always found the prejudice against non- purebloods was pathetic, as Athena had always beaten the oh so magical purebloods with little to no trouble at all, as she had proven in the great hall not so long ago. But now, she sat in Defence against the dark arts, scribbling down small facts about Patronuses and how they work. That was one thing she missed from Durmstrang; the action. Every lesson you would just duel until the weak became strong, and the strong became stronger. Self-taught with minimal rules, they took what they learnt in the dark arts class and used it on each other. There were 3 rules: Don't use a forbidden curse, don't put long-lasting damage on your opponent, and finally, don't kill your opponent. This was why Athena spent all her time in the library with Viktor, teaching themselves defensive counterspells, ready for the next lesson. Moody went on about positions and movements of the wand, droning on as Athena copied down every word he spoke, taking in all moments.

"And today," he continued. "We will be casting our Patronus!" Moody boomed.

Athena had completely forgotten, double divination followed by potions had certainly bored her distracted mind. 

"When I call out your name, come up to the front and try to cast it, " Moody said. "I'll go in alphabetical order" He mentioned, picking up a piece of parchment.

"Right, let's see..." His eyes flicked onto the sheet. "Miles Bletchly!"

A Slytherin stood up from Aleksi's table and was unsuccessful in his attempt.

"Cedric Diggory!" 

The Hufflepuff champion cast a badger, the same as his house.

A few more people went up, and cast their Patronus; Lee Jordan casting a retriever dog, Adrian Pucey cast a crow, Grazdon Sluchaini, from Durmstrangwith Aleksi, couldn't cast one, then Fred, who cast a sparrow from his wand. 

"George Weasley!" Moody called. George confidently walked up to the front, pulling out his wand from his pocket. 

"Expecto Patronum!" He called. Georges Patronus astounded Athena. Her heart felt as light as a feather, and the butterflies returned to her stomach. How could she not have seen? Of course, it was George! Their connection had been strong from the very first time they laid eyes on each other. 

From his wand, a beautiful, misty magpie appeared, leaving a misty trail wherever it went. George looked star-struck. 

"It appears" Moody said while limping toward George, placing a scarred hand on his shoulder. "That we have found Athena's mate" George smiled widely. "Congratulations," Moody said as George sat down, placing a hand on her thigh gently.

"Patronuses grow to match a significant others if the connection is strong enough" Moody boomed loudly.

"Looks like we're soulmates" George whispered to Athena, grinning ear to ear. 

 "Now back to it" Moody snarled.

***

Class finished at 14:30 pm, leaving plenty of time for homework to be finished before dinner at 18:00 pm. Athena was confident that her divination and D.A.D.A. homework would take no longer than an hour, her potions taking about 2 hours, leaving half an hour before dinner for her to help Viktor prepare for the first task, plus the extra four hours before lights-out. Then again they could practice on the boat, her father wouldn't mind, right-