Chapter 34: Aunt Muriel's

Athena swiftly recovered from her injury, almost miraculously, as everyone assumed she'd be out of action for quite some time. The injury had caused a change in Athena- either that or the actions her mother had performed in front of her. Her hair returned to pin-straight, just as it had been when Sirius died, and her cheeks had become slightly more hollow. She had small, grey shadows under her eyes, and her face wore an emotionless expression most of the time. She ditched wearing traditional robes- instead, she wore trousers and short skirts, black button-ups with her father's leather jacket and billowing capes. She also opted for wearing combat boots- equipped with her mother's dagger that flicked in and out with a tap of the heel. George loved the change in style, and even Draco complimented it at one point.

Being at shell cottage forced Athena to become quite close to Fleur. They cooked and cleaned together, sharing stories of back at home in Europe. Fleur was fairly compassionate and had clearly matured since the tournament. They were very different- her coming from a rich, stable family and a magnificent school, Athena being quite the opposite, but they somehow found common ground to stand on.

April rolled around, and having just celebrated the twin's birthday a week previously, Lupin arrived out of the blue while eating dinner the night before Athena, the twins and Draco set off to Aunt Muriel's until Athena and Draco returned to Hogwarts. Remus answered unasked questions about himself, proving his identity before entering.

"Its a boy, Nymphadora gave birth!" He said happily. He looked far younger than Athena had ever seen. She leapt up, hugging Remus and congratulating him.

"You'll be the godfather?" He asked Harry.

"Me? Yeah... Blimey," Harry responded.

"You alright, Godfather?" Athena said jokily.

"Not too bad, Godmother!" Harry laughed back.

The evening was Merry and delightful, brightening the ominous mood that had hung for so long. That same night, Athena came to the grave of the elf. She felt very sorry for him, as he had saved all of their lives, costing his own. She tapped her wand on the grave, sprouting beautiful white lilies around it.

"I'm sorry I never got to meet you. You were a wonderful elf" She said. Athena cleaned the headstone and stood up, returning to the cottage, ready to leave in the morning.

***

"Are you ready, Dragon?" Athena asked, poking her head around the door. Draco smiled broadly at her, showing his white teeth. They had become very close as cousins, sharing similar toxic childhoods.

"Yeah, I think so- Do you think they'll believe me?" He asked.

"If they don't, I'll make them. I said I'll protect you, and you won't find anywhere more protected than Muriel's, so you're staying, no matter what" Athena replied.

"Thank you" Draco said, checking the room for anything he missed.

"Got your wand?" She asked.

"Er- yeah, here!". He pulled the wand out of his pocket. 

"Excellent, let's get going"

They met George and Fred downstairs, both with small bags of the minimal things they needed. Athena hugged Hermione, Harry, Ron, Luna, Dean and Fluer goodbye, before setting off outside the Fiddilius charm's border, George and Fred leading the apparition- They arrived about half a kilometre from the house. 

Muriel lived in a large house that was isolated behind a hill. It presented an overgrown garden that spread onto the withered white brick walls, supported by pillars. The huge, oak door stood proud, a cat-shaped knocker in the centre. Before knocking, Athena double-checked the surrounding charms before adding her own to certify the safety.