Chapter 5: The first task

It was the Sunday before the 24th of November. Athena had been scoring highly in all of her lessons, to her father's delight. Viktor had stopped being attracted to Hermione after he discovered she was only 14- Instead, he liked a girl from Beauxbatons, named Josephine Agard, who Athena thought was the snobbiest of them all. Harry was fully marvelling over Cho Chang, which made Ginny angry and upset, and rightly so. Cho was a popular Ravenclaw who was bound to break Harry's heart. They sat at the table for breakfast, Harry and Viktor were visibly anxious for the tournament. Around us, people had badges on that either read: 'Support Cedric Diggory' or 'Potter stinks'.

"Immature really, Potter stinks" Athena remarked toward a student. "Not even imaginative, just plain"

"I agree," George said. "I would've put 'Potter's a speccy small Git'". Athena slapped his arm sharply. "What was that for?" George asked, rubbing his arm.

"There should've been no badges at all!" She said sternly. "They're problematic either way!"

A group of students turned to look at Athena. She had been talking quite loud, and visibly, they didn't like her argument.

"What?" She said sternly, looking in the eyes of the students. "Give that here!" She said, tearing off a badge from a small 5th-year girl, who had been making remarks about them all morning. Athena threw the badge into the air as she flicked her wand, causing flames to erupt from the tip. The badge burst into flames, falling onto the floor in a charred, melted heap. She turned back around to finish her breakfast.

"There." She said, relaxing. "Problem solved".

Harry sat in silence, looking away from her. He had been acting the same way toward Krum, and they found it rather strange. 

"Is everything alright, Harry?" She said, now slightly concerned he'd gone deaf.

Harry ignored her, picking up a croissant. 

"I think he's just nervous about the competition. that's all." Hermione said, glaring at Harry. He rolled his eyes behind his round glasses.

"Look, Harry, if it's about the competition, I'm not going to be biased toward Viktor-" Athena said before being interrupted. 

"It's not about the stupid competition!" Harry said, standing up and storming away.

"Harry!" Hermione called. "I'm sorry about him," She said. " I suspect the tournament is getting to him"

"Its ok Hermione" Athena responded. "I get it"

***

 Tuesday rolled around, the competition nearly beginning: Yet Harry was still off. It had come on so suddenly, and no-one could wrap their heads around it; except for Hermione, who wouldn't say anything. Harry and Viktor had been pulled out of lunch, ready for the competition the begin, leaving them excitedly guessing what the task was going to be.

"Maybe they'll fight prisoners from Azkaban!" Fred said excitedly.

"Or a swarm of violent Bludgers!" Oliver added.

"Whatever it is," Hermione said, "I hope they don't get hurt" 

"Agreed," Athena said. "I don't know what I'd do without Viktor"

"Really?" Oliver said, surprised. "I thought it was more the other way around"

"Me too!" George said. 

"Yeah, in an interview he said he wouldn't be the worlds best seeker without you" Oliver added.

"He's still my brother," Athena said. "He doesn't work without me, and I don't work without him." She said. "Look at me now, he's gone I'm getting worked up, no doubt he's the same!"