Chapter 23 ~ Compromise

Chapter 23: Compromise
~

Sitting cross-legged at Fenna's feet, I dug in eagerly to my food, tearing apart meat to eat so quickly, I barely tasted it. She chuckled as she watched me, shaking her head in disapproval.

“If your mother saw you eating like that, she’d scold you.”

I grinned up at her. “She’s not here.”

“But I’m here,” Signy cut in with a pointed look that made me blush.
Wiping my face, I made a show of eating more slowly and smiled to myself when Signy winked. “Better. It's no wonder you’re starving when Jakkon didn’t allow you a break.”

Jakkon scoffed. “She was fine. Where we’re going this summer to hunt, she might need to learn to survive on an empty stomach. . .” Trailing off, his eyes followed something across the clearing. The conversation around us had stopped too, and we all turned at the same time to be met with a sight I doubted anyone here ever thought they’d see.

It was Ebbe who had everyone’s attention. Stalking towards the dinner table, walking right past the line of waiting wolves, he headed straight for Hagan. With a piece of venison halfway to my mouth, I blinked as if that would change what I was seeing. But a low and purposeful growl from Ebbe made sure every single one of us understood his intentions. He hadn’t finished all he wanted to show the pack today, and those who had seen him at the ring were eager for more.
Hagan, however, hadn’t caught wind of Ebbe’s sudden shift from docile omega to a male wanting to challenge. He turned away from the table with a furrowed brow, making no move to defend himself just yet. 

Maybe he thought what he was seeing couldn’t be real either. Ebbe never challenged, not unless he’d lost control, but it was clear he knew what he was doing; his every move, was careful, methodical.

The two males postured with their chests puffed up and shoulders back, each trying to get the measure of the other. Hagan was bigger, in size and brawn. . .plus he’d been amongst the high ranked for a few years now.

“I believe you owe me the furs from the hunt to come, my mate,” Signy murmured, looking pleased as she continued to eat, undisturbed by what was about to happen.

Could she not feel the crackle of electricity in the air that had the hair on my arm standing in edge, or the twisting in her gut. What if Ebbe got seriously hurt? But Jakkon didn’t seem concerned either. He chuckled gently, and I turned when I felt his gaze on me. A wry smile twisted his lips, blue eyes trailing slowly over me before he bowed his head to his Alpha Female. “Indeed. I should know better than to bet against you by now.”

“You knew he would do this?” I asked.

Neither answered. Signy simply smiled and lifted her gaze from me to watch what was unfolding. Even though we were all expecting it, the plate I held still nearly slipped from my grip when Ebbe launched himself at Hagan so swiftly, he was a blur.
A whimper from across the clearing came from Gisli and my heart broke for her. A hand over her mouth, she hid her face against Aljana's side. If I wasn’t frozen where I sat, I’d have gone over and taken her away so she wouldn’t have to see; I'd grown a soft spot for the quiet female. And I didn’t want to watch this either, not when Hagan was beating back Ebbe's every attack. But I couldn’t not watch.

Just when it looked like Ebbe was going to lose, he shifted to fur, leaving Hagan rushing to do the same. Perhaps a bit of a dirty trick, one he’d used on me only an hour or so earlier but it didn’t matter. Hagan was no match for Ebbe's speed, his relentless attacked of sharp nips anywhere he could reach. Hagan quickly tired, offering Ebbe the chance to strike. He rolled willingly as Ebbe pushing him to his back and took his throat between his jaws. A growl of victory rumbled from him, and he seemed to grow in size. He gave another, softer growl before releasing Hagan, and the pack didn’t seem sure what to do.
Shifting back to skin, we all watched in stunned silence as Ebbe walked stiffly to the table, took a plate and picked some food.