Chapter 12 ~ Expectations

Chapter 12: Expectations
~

Siannon plucked my phone from my hands and spun me around, lifting it up so we were both in the cameras frame. My eyes squinted against the bright sun but she wouldn’t release me.

"Say cheese!"

"What are you doing?" I laughed, trying to pull away again and shield my eyes against the glare.

She yanked me back and grinned, her tone telling me she thought it was obvious. "We need a before and after photo, dummy. Before Raeghan goes into the wild, and the mess she returns in!"

Rolling my eyes, I resisted the urge to tease her back and allowed her to take the photo, putting on a bright smile. Maybe it would be nice to see if I’d changed at all when I got back.

"There. Beautiful!" She winked then tucked my phone into her back pocket. "I'll keep it safe for you, don't worry."

I didn't doubt that, but I did doubt her intentions for wanting to be the one to hold onto my phone...

Shaking my head, I looked over at our small leaving party. Of course Siannon had come to see me off, helping keep nerves at bay when I could so easily decide this was a huge mistake, run back to my room, and lock the door to keep the world at bay. But she wouldn’t let me do that and I was grateful.

Fenna was clinging onto her mother while Orin said his goodbyes to Bjarke and Freydis. Basjan sulked with his arms wrapped tight around Gisli's leg, still pleading with her to stay. I watched as she crouched down and hugged him, feeling a little guilty. We were only leaving earlier than planned because I'd decided I wanted to get away.

Siannon swung her arm over my shoulder as we waited and I became ever more fidgety. It felt odd, wrong even, to be leaving home and not bringing more than the clothes I wore with me. I thought Dad might have argued for me to take my phone but he'd been the one to tell me to leave it. It would be difficult to take anyway. Being in fur didn’t exactly come with pockets.

My gaze flicked towards my parents and I frowned as they whispered to Orin and took him away from the group to speak. Far away enough that I couldn't catch a word of what they were saying. Threatening him to keep me safe? Or maybe warning him about me for all I knew. Orin nodded at whatever was being said and I spun round to say my own goodbyes.

Siannon did her best to keep the tears at bay but I didn’t miss the glimmer in her eyes. It made it harder for me to keep my own emotions in check as we said goodbye. Oria came over to me next and held me tighter than she looked like she should be able to, my bones creaking. I hugged her back, inhaling her familiar lavender scent.

“I think you’ll find more out there than you think you will, you know,” she teased, brushing hair away from my face as she pulled back. “Don’t worry about the pack. I’m sure Theo will keep your space warm for you.”

I laughed, but agreed. Theo would bat away any male or female that thought to take my place while I was gone. It was good to have him on my side and he’d seemed genuinely upset when I’d explained I was going to follow in Fenna’s footsteps. He’d at least cracked a smile when I’d suggested all his past bedmates seemed to leave the pack after being with him.

Quillan gave me an awkward hug too but I was quickly scooped away by Ben who ruffled my hair until I was sure I’d never be able to fix it. “Take care of yourself.”