Chapter 11 - Running

Chapter 11: Running
***

Late afternoon brought with it a pounding headache tended to by a cup of coffee and some toast from Maya.

I could barely remember the night before but I knew I’d had fun. Siannon perhaps had too much fun. I didn’t want to wake her but she'd groaned herself back to reality not long after I managed to finally stand up.

“I’m sorry if we woke you up last night,” I said after finishing my coffee.

Maya chuckled and waved a hand, getting more food ready for when everyone else was up to eating. “You know I'd rather you came here than walk all the way home. I'll make sure Siannon gets home when she’s feeling better.” Turning to me, she brushed knotted hair away from my face with a smile. “Your mother will be wanting you back so she knows you’re okay too.”

“Thank you.” It was all I could say without my stomach rolling violently as the smell of bacon wafted towards me. The slice of toast hadn’t worked as well as I’d hoped.

Giving Maya a quick, tight hug, I told her I’d see her soon. She knew I was leaving to go with Fenna, I had a vague recollection of telling her last night when we appeared. I’d see her again before I left, I had no doubt. She’d come to see me and Fenna off.

Siannon was still locked in the bathroom, and Fenna still sound asleep as I stepped outside. I breathed in fresh air, letting it out slowly. The path ahead looked like it was swirling around but I forced myself to start walking.

The cool air livened me up a bit and it was nearly time for tea when I stumbled through the front door. The kitchen was filled with the sound of the fan and clanking pots. Gods, had I really slept the whole day away?
Bracing myself for judgement, I poked my head around the door.

“I’m back.” My voice was hoarse and Mum chuckled when she took in the state of me. Tousled hair, smudged eye makeup, and I probably stank of a mix of cigarettes and alcohol. Not that I’d smoked. I think.

“Fun night?”

“It was good,” I said grimacing at the smell of cooking food before mumbling. “I need to go for a shower. . .and not breathe.”

“Tea will be ready soon, some lovely lasagne, melted cheese. . .” Oria added.

“Oh gods,” I groaned, just the mere thought of it almost making me heave.

I hurried out of the room and could hear Mum and Oria both burst out laughing. It wasn’t like neither of them had had mornings like this, I’d seen my mum hungover. I knew I looked bad but their laughter made my head pound more and I had to close my eyes for a second to stop the hallway from spinning. Resisting the urge to hush them because I knew it would only make them laugh louder, I fumbled my way up the stairs.

I paused in my bedroom door. Gisli was sat on the floor with Basjan and Jamie playing a board game. She smiled brightly when she spotted me, grabbing Jamie before he could attempt to rugby tackle me.

“She doesn’t feel well, little one,” she murmured to him.

“Are you sick?”

I chuckled but nodded. “A little. I’ll feel better after a shower. I hope you’ve been being good.”

“He’s an angel.” Gisli grinned and I laughed. He did seem to behave well around her. Perhaps he knew to be a little gentler.

Spinning towards my en-suite, I was stopped in my tracks once more. The door swung open, steam billowing out behind the male that appeared. Soaking wet, brown hair clung to strong shoulders, free of the usual braids and beads. Drops of water dripped down tanned skin and I tracked one rolling down his chest, following the lines of muscle. I swallowed as it disappeared beneath the towel slung around his hips.