Chapter 13 ~ The Norse Pack

Chapter 13: The Norse Pack

The rhythmic thud of paws on grass soothed my soul. There were no worries out here. No fear of failing in front of my pack, no troubled thoughts about this being the day someone else took my spot as heir, no need to skip around my words in fear of causing an argument between my parents. It was just me, letting instincts loose, running as fast I could through a valley filled with life. Blurs of greens and browns, the rush of the river next to me, the blue sky stretching far beyond the mountains that stood guard; it was a place of peace.

The pass to the valley had scared me a little as it shadowed us, and I swore the ground beneath me had thudded like someone was hammering into the rock, but when it opened up, I’d been caught in awe. It reminded me of the glens of home. A bark from Orin told me to be free. To explore. It was hard to ignore the call of the wild but I was used to keeping a tight grip on my wolf.

Of course I didn’t stray far in my explorations. I could hear the others behind me and was surprised I’d even been allowed to lead the way, especially as I had no idea where I was going. Orin liked to assert his dominance over me but maybe Fenna had sweet talked him into letting me go for a bit.

Pouncing at the rustling branches of a bush next to me, I rolled in the mud, narrowly missing the red squirrel that ran straight up the trunk of a tree. Not that I’d really intended to catch it, it was always fun to play with prey.
I lay on my back panting for a while, watching clouds float by, taking deep inhales of the air to get used to the new scents of the Norse Pack’s territory. A snapping branch and suddenly I was being crushed by a heavy weight. Black fur told me it was Fenna who’d decided to play too and I wriggled beneath her, nipping playfully at a leg. She rolled off me easily, nudging into my side to get me back to my paws.

Her actions were clear: time to go. I recognised the restlessness in the way the others shifted on their paws. Impatience. We were close to the pack. Shaking out my fur, I followed her back to the others and allowed Orin and Fenna to take the lead again. She kept looking back at me as I fell behind, readying myself to meet the wolves who had become Fenna’s family. Would they accept me? I hoped so.

Ebbe chuffed next to me, nudging his bigger body into mine. Despite feeling oddly nervous around him after once more waking up sprawled over him, I accepted his encouragement. Lengthening my stride again, I kept my head held high, tail up. Confident and dominant but not quite challenging. I wanted the Pack’s first glimpse of me to make a good impression.

We followed the path for another hour or so before I caught sight of the settlement across the river. It was exactly as Orin had described for me countless times. Wooden huts, a hall pressed against one of the cliffs, tables, chairs, and benches scattered throughout, all surrounded by thick trees. Wolves stood in the river with long spears that were forgotten when they spotted us and the echo of howls announced our arrival to the rest of the pack.

Fenna and Orin happily ran through the river with Gisli hot on their heels. Ebbe went to follow but paused when I stayed back. Instincts warned me I was on another pack’s territory and it was difficult to keep calm when I wanted to growl and posture at the wolves gathering on the banking to greet us. Eyes flicked curiously to me and I had to force myself to look away.

A nip to my shoulder and Ebbe urged me on, staying by my side as we both started to trudge through the slow flowing river. It was shallow enough that I didn’t need to swim but even though it was the height of summer, it was freezing cold.

Once I reached the banking, I shifted to skin, keeping my distance as pack members surrounded Fenna and Orin, greeting them excitedly. It was nice to watch, to see that my friend truly was accepted and loved here. And I didn’t want to interrupt. Pups circled around Gisli and she crouched to hug them one by one. I glanced at Ebbe next to me.