Chapter 2 ~Tactics

Chapter 2: Tactics

The air was brisk outside and Quillan's nose scrunched as the wind blew my scent towards him. "Maybe you should stay home today."

I shook my head, clenching my jaw. I knew I smelt like a fertile female whose body was telling her she was ready to carry a pup; it would be tempting to unmated males but Quillan was happily mated to my Aunt Oria so it wasn’t a pleasant scent to him.

Anyway, staying home wasn't an option. My body was flooded with hormones and adrenaline that would leave me writhing on the bed once it started properly. A run would wear off that energy and I trusted my father's Beta and brother, my uncle, to keep me safe from any male that dared come too close.

"I need to run," I replied firmly, smiling as he nodded slowly.

His coal eyes looked me over, pausing at my ribs. They still ached and my skin had turned a lovely black and blue under the sports top I wore. I thought I'd carried myself well, hiding that I was in any pain, but Quillan's eyes were trained to see things like this.

"I won't go easy on you," he warned, as if a challenge would put me off.
Bouncing lightly on the balls of my feet and swinging my arms to get blood flowing, I grinned. "Good."

We took off at a fast jog at first, winding our way into the forest and towards the steeper area. That was where Quillan decided to pick up the pace and I grunted in my attempt to keep up. I could feel him smirking even though I couldn't see his face. He loved to test me, push me, because I was stubborn enough to do anything he asked of me simply to prove I could.

My eyes picked up every snapped branch or track left in the mud, knowing I’d be questioned about it. Another part of this lesson, to make sure I paid attention to my surroundings.

It was hard work as the hill got steeper, mud turning to loose rocks beneath my trainers but it was worth it when we reached the top. The sky was growing darker as heavy grey rainclouds began to form but it didn't detract from the beauty of the view. Scattered houses amongst the trees with fields of brown and green heading out towards the city, passing the village that housed the nearest humans to the pack. I couldn't help but smile, casting my gaze over every inch of a territory that would one day be mine.

Allowing me to stop and catch my breath, Quillan stepped up beside me, eyeing the sky. Rain wouldn't stop us though, and I didn't mind getting a little wet and muddy. It helped me keep cool at least.

“What did you see?”

Shoving my hands in the pockets of my joggy bottoms, I closed my eyes and pictured the trail we’d taken. “Tracks left by last night’s patrol, running the opposite way around. Something small crossed the path not long before us, a rabbit maybe.” I looked up at Quillan to see him nod  before continuing. “And deer are nearby.”

I only got a grunt of approval but that was more than most got. My back straightened in pride, and I went back to studying the Scottish countryside. The sun was still climbing higher in the sky, brightening the world even hidden by clouds as it was. Most of the pups would be getting ready to catch the bus to school by now, I didn’t envy them.

"Fenna will be returning soon," Quillan said out of the blue, breaking my train of thought.

I spun around to face him immediately, wondering why nobody had told me earlier. "What? When?"