Chapter 40 ~ The Beginning

This is the final chapter!
Thank you all again for sticking with me, I loved reading everyone's comments and enjoyed figuring out how to do Raeghan's story justice.

Don't forget that book 4 is now available to buy as an ebook or paperback on Amazon. You can even order signed copies from me!

For now this is the final book in The Wulvers Series. I do plan on doing a spin of book with Braden, and maybe one day I'll come back to Raeghan and Ebbe as their story has only really just begun...

To keep up with all things Wulver, Laoch and Vampire, you can join my Facebook group or follow me on twitter/insta under the handle Scottish_writer
(Links on message board!)

Chapter 40: The Beginning

Sam poked and prodded me for hours, making sure my body got fluids while mud was cleaned from my skin and wounds disinfected. I wasn’t allowed to fall asleep while she worked which made me more than a little growly. Ebbe paced by my bed the whole time, and Braden kept his back towards me with blushing cheeks until Sam helped me slip on a loose gown and tucked a blanket around my legs.

Grim faced, she told me what I’d feared. While my leg wasn’t broken after all, my collision with the bench had left it’s mark. A fractured vertebrae that meant I was stuck lying flat and unmoving for the next few days. The worst of the open wounds were bandaged up and most of my injuries would heal completely within the week.
Only then did Sam allow me to close my eyes and sleep. It was fitful, and pain seeped into my dreams so I found little rest as my mind replayed a different ending to my challenge; Tomàs with his fangs around my throat. The moment his jaws clamped shut and cut off my airway, my eyes snapped open and I woke with a sharp gasp.

Slumping back into the soft pillows of the clinic bed, I sighed and rubbed my face. The room was lit in a rich orange glow, the blinds at the window casting shadowed stripes across the floor. Ebbe was slumped over my good leg, unmoving and breathing softly, his features pinched as if whatever he was dreaming about upset him.

“Looks like ye fucked things up mair than I did.”

My gaze snapped back to the windows, and a mass stepped into the glow of the setting sun.

“And that shows how little you know...Why are you still here, Braden?”

“Your father asked me to stay. They came to check on you but you were asleep, they’ll be back soon. Your dad said he’d know when you woke up.”

Scrunching my nose, I decided to leave Braden be. Dad probably wanted to keep him out of the way. “An Alpha can feel his wolves through the pack bond, especially their relations; offspring, siblings, or parents.”

“I guessed it would be some weird shit like that. So tell me, how is what you did the day ony different tae me challenging yer father?”

“Apart from the fact that I won?”

I smirked as his lips pressed into a thin line but as his gaze fell to a sleeping Ebbe, he swallowed the growl that had been building.

Keeping my voice low, I muttered, “My challenge was for honourable reasons, not just some half-cocked-“

“You need tae stop talking about shit you ken nothing about! I didn’t decide to risk my life challenging a full-blooded wolf because I woke up feeling roach one day. You’d do anything for your family, why shouldn’t I do the same for mine?”

Chest heaving, he spun away from me and I stared at his back. Shame settled on my shoulders and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath through my nose as everything suddenly fell into place. Of course. How could I not have realised sooner?