Chapter 4 ~ Chasing Tail

Chapter 4: Chasing Tail
~

Sunset came and there was still no sign of Ebbe. I watched the sun dip low behind the treeline as I chewed my cheek nervously. Orin was staring a hole right into my face and I regretted my comment about feral wolves once more.

"I'll help you look for him." Fenna said, pushing herself up from the couch but Orin grabbed her arm, shaking his head. I grit my teeth as she sat back down.

He wasn't from our pack, what right did he have to order me around anyway? Surely a wolf that grew up in the wilds was capable of finding his way back here.

"What's going on?" Quillan asked, frowning as he looked between us.

Orin looked at me expectantly and I sighed before admitting, "Ebbe ran off and I made a. . . distasteful comment so Orin thinks he can demand I go look for him."

Orin's jaw clenched but he didn't say anything about my explanation. Quillan hummed and waved his hand. "I agree. I'm sure you're capable of tracking him down, Raeghan. Consider it practice."

"Perhaps not,” Orin taunted. “If Ebbe doesn't want to be found, he won't make it easy.”

That was a challenge I couldn't leave alone, even if Fenna was trying not to smirk. I was well aware he was playing me but I didn't care. "I'll find him. Don't worry."

I stood and marched out of the room with my head held high. How hard could it be?

Stripping quickly, I kicked my clothes inside the porch and stared up at the sky. The trees looked like they were on fire as the sky burned a bright orange. I gave myself a shake before jumping off the step, grinning as magic rippled over my skin, bones shifting swiftly as I morphed into fur.

Energy rolled through me, boosting my confidence, and I started to run, heading in the direction I'd last seen Ebbe. It hadn't rained today so hopefully I'd be able to pick up his scent quickly. I darted off the path and towards the forest, slowing down to scent the ground as I scanned for any sign someone had passed this way.

Snapped branches led me North and I kept heading in that direction. I passed the patrol who barked at me but I didn’t have time to greet them and kept up my pace. Half an hour must have past with me running aimlessly around the territory and I was beginning to get frustrated. I stopped by a stream to catch my breath and bearings. Night had come quickly but luckily I could see just as clearly.

Closing my eyes, my ears twitched as I listened out for the sound of paws on the ground. Nothing. At least, no more than the hooting of an owl and the screech of other nocturnal animals.
I couldn't go back without him. I'd search all night if I had to out of pure stubbornness. Unless I couldn't find him because he'd headed back. . . For some reason, I doubted that. I had the feeling Ebbe was just as stubborn as I was.

Where are you?

If I was a wolf on a new territory, what would I do? Explore? Hunt?  Would I look for a place to hide? Sticking next to the stream, I trekked along the waters edge with my nose back to the ground. Just as I was about to give up again, I finally caught onto his scent. It was faint, so much so that I'd almost dismissed it but as I headed towards the hill, it got stronger. Strong enough that my body reacted as it had when I'd first seen him in the kitchen. Damn him for being the first scent I'd caught after my heat.