Chapter 5 ~ Thunder

Chapter 5: Thunder
~

The sky lit up in a flash of electric blue, quickly followed by the rumble of thunder that shook the windows. Crackling from the fire place, and a gust of wind moaned as it blew over the chimney. A break in the lightening brought rain pouring violently down.

Clutching the warm mug, I took a sip of hot chocolate. I couldn't sleep. Even with three females all curled up next to me on the bed, the storm raging outside stopped me from finding any rest. Part of me maybe believed if I forced myself to watch the storm, I'd stop jumping at every flash and rumble.

A gentle rap on the living room door and I knew who it was before my dad came in. "I thought I'd find you here."
I was only a little embarrassed as I looked over at him. He had his own steaming mug of hot chocolate in his hands and he sat down on the couch across from the fire so he could see me.

"There's no room for me in my bed," I tried to excuse.

Pale green eyes held mine, lips twitching until I couldn't fight my own laugh. Tucking my feet under the blanket I'd brought with me to the window seat, I sighed. "It's really loud tonight."

Concern softened Dad's features and he patted the couch. "Come here, my pup."

"Grown females don't cuddle into their dad because they're afraid of a storm." Even if I was more than tempted to do just that, and have him sing until I fell asleep like he used to.

"I don't remember hearing this rule," he rebuffed, patting the same spot again.

I stood with an eye roll but it was hard not to give myself away with a smile. Falling onto the soft cushions, I nestled into his side and closed my eyes. I felt like a pup again, but I didn't care. This was more than I'd gotten from my Alpha in so long without us fighting. Maybe that's why he stayed quiet, watching the fire as he finished his drink. Maybe he was as afraid as I was that we'd ruin this with stupid words.

"Thank you for letting mum take me with her when she goes to council," I murmured.

"You're welcome, my pup. Try and get some sleep, the storm will pass soon.”

***

I woke to cold feet being pressed against my leg, followed by a high pitched giggle when I grabbed at the pup trying to snuggle in beside me on the couch. Cuddling Maebh, I smiled as she finally settled.

"You fell asleep on the couch," she whispered as if it was something I could get in trouble for.

"Three monsters stole my bed," I replied, tickling her stomach.

She screeched and wriggled, the top of her head jarring my chin and making my teeth click together. I redoubled my efforts, sitting up with a grin. Maebh kicked out but I managed to avoid her foot, a gentle rumble of my wolf reminding her to be careful. The grin fell from her face, her gaze locked onto something behind me before she quickly wriggled free and bolted out the room.

I chuckled in amusement and turned to see Ebbe with Orin standing close behind. He was staring at me so intensely that when Orin placed a hand on his shoulder, his whole body jolted as if he’d forgotten where he was.

"We're here for breakfast, but nobody is in the kitchen," Orin said.

Kicking myself free of the blanket, I stood up and righted my jammies. "They're probably in the dining room now there's so many of us."

He nodded and began to head down the hall, only to frown when Ebbe made no move to follow. I lifted my chin a little, holding this gaze, but there was no challenge in his eyes.