Chapter 28 ~ Defend

Chapter 28: Defend
~

Showered and dressed, I stared at my reflection in the chipped white framed mirror.

There was something different about the female who held herself so stiffly. My shape had changed subtly since the last time I'd stood here; places that were once soft were now harder with muscle, my hair had grown longer, my skin held a flush of colour from so much time spent in the sun, marred by silver scars from my fight with Jakkon. Scars my mother hadn't seemed to notice because she was so caught up in everything going on.

But those physical changes weren't what had me staring at myself. It was the glint in my eyes that hadn't been there before, a flicker of wild gold over green. The wolf was present. That part of me always was now. And Wulven instincts were demanding I do what I had to, to stabilise the pack. It filled my veins with adrenaline and a ferocious need to defend.

The intensity frightened me.

Maybe mum was right. I had changed. Hopefully for the better.

"Something is troubling you," Ebbe stated quietly.

My gaze shifted to his in the mirror. Sat on the edge of my bed, he was far more relaxed than I was considering he hated being inside. Damp brown hair clung to his neck and shoulders, drops rolling down tanned skin, over the ridges of muscle that now coiled around his body. He'd changed since he'd last been here too. Ebbe had gotten stronger right alongside me, but I was secretly glad his new confidence hadn't changed the odd way he held himself in skin. It was the quirk I'd first noticed, one of the things that had initially drawn me to him.

"I don't think mum likes who I showed up as," I replied. She'd accused me of having no mercy, but how could I feel sorry for a male who'd come close to tearing my family and pack apart?

Ebbe scoffed and stood, his hands capturing my hips as his front pressed against my back. My breathing hitched slightly as I leaned back, trying not to react to the heat that spread wherever his body touched mine.

Propping his chin on top of my head, our eyes met in the mirror. Blue on green. "You have a temper, remember, Princess? Nobody can blame you for being a little growly."

My lips pursed at his teasing while he gave me a lopsided grin. I turned around to face him, keeping my gaze firmly on his to avoid further distraction. "You need to get dressed. I have to go see my dad."

"I'm not the one that's been stalling," he replied gently, tucking a lock of wet hair behind my ear.

I looked down with a frown, hiding myself from his view until my forehead was pressed against his chest. The thud of his heart beat against my hand, my fingers wanting to tap in time to keep me calm.

Because how could I admit that all of a sudden, I wasn't sure I wanted to see Dad? My father had always been the epitome of what it was to be an Alpha; strong, confident, fierce. Unbeatable. What would I see when I looked at him now? Even just thinking about the bruises and wounds that must cover him had tears threatening to tumble down.

And that look in my eyes that proved I'd let go of my control. . .what if seeing my Alpha weakened brought out instincts I no longer had clamped down?

Rough fingers gripped my chin, forcing my head back up. Before I could blink, lips covered mine, and I melted into the male before me. It wasn't our usual, heated and rushed kiss quickly followed by stripping as quickly as possible. This was different. Slow and sensual, comforting. It stole the very breath from my lungs and offered a new taste of us.

My arms slid up to wind around Ebbe's neck, fingers stroking over soft skin and slim but steady shoulders. Gripping my hips to tug me closer, a tempting our rumbled from his chest. The connection we'd once spoken of thrummed to life between us, filling me up with warmth, and promises of escape. It was a welcome distraction from the darkness of my thoughts, but all too soon Ebbe was pulling away.