Chapter 32 ~ The Truth

Glossary
Mo sheanmhair - my grandmother

Sexual Content Warning

Chapter 32: The Truth
~

A moonless dark sky filled with twinkling stars filled the view from the living room windows, every now and again the glass reflecting a spark of red or yellow as the fire flickered. The window seat was usually my favourite spot in the house but I found myself sitting in Dad’s spot; on the couch with the huge multi-coloured crochet blanket his mother had made wrapped around me. One of the few things I had of mo sheanmhair.

I couldn’t bring myself to uncurl and head to bed, partially kept in place by the inviting warmth the fire offered, and partially put off by how dark and lonely my bedroom would be.

I’d watched Quillan whisk a giggling Oria away to bed, Ben and Liam had went on patrol, Mum had gone upstairs about an hour ago, and I could hear Bjarke and Freydis murmuring quietly to each other outside.

Everyone had paired off for the evening, and there was still no sign of the one wolf I wanted to see.

After a day surrounded by pack, I’d planned on telling Ebbe every detail of my accomplishments today while his scent wrapped around me in bed. He’d probably laugh and poke fun, and I’d pretend to be annoyed like always. Instead here I was, feeling painfully alone yet again.

Maybe he’d changed his mind and headed back to Jakkon. Why else would he not have come back with Quillan and Bjarke this afternoon?

Tucking the blanket beneath my chin, I frowned at the crackling flames. Was it because I’d been busy? It was true that since I’d arrived, I’d barely had a chance to stop and breathe with Ebbe. But I’d warned him of that.

“You’re up late,” Freydis spoke up from behind me.

Glancing over my shoulder, the willowy she-wolf stood in the doorway with Bjarke at her back; a male that blocked out the light from the hallway entirely. The mated pair shared a look and the huge Beta chuckled at whatever silent conversation passed between them. He pressed a kiss to her temple, murmuring gently by her ear before turning to head down the hall, presumably to their room.

Freydis walked in, floor length maroon dress rustling across the carpet as she took a seat directly across from me. Green eyes glowed in the dancing shadows and I couldn’t help but shudder at the sensation she was peering right into my soul.

 She’d asked me a question, I realised, shaking myself to attention.

“I like the peace late at night down here,” I finally managed to answer.

Her eyebrow quirked the tiniest bit, head quirking to one side in a way that reminded me so much of her adoptive son. I knew what that expression meant.

A short laugh escaped me as I focused in on the sounds of the house that a lifetime of living here meant I was able to ignore. Electricity buzzed in the walls and overhead, the trickle of water from pipes echoing every now and again. “I guess it’s not so quiet to you and yours.”

“No.” Short and clipped, I came to the conclusion that perhaps small talk was a social norm lost on her. Her head cocked the other way and long blonde hair fell over her shoulders as her gaze scanned every inch of me.  “How was my pack before you left? I hope my mother and brother were behaving themselves.”

I managed a real laugh this time. Orin had certainly shown that he was more like his mother than he let on.

“They’re all well. Though I fear I may have caused some strain between Gisli and Ebbe...she might not be my biggest fan anymore.”