Chapter 6 ~ Accusations

Chapter 6: Accusations

Back at the house, my mother wouldn't stop fussing around me. She looked troubled by something but wouldn't tell me what as she fed me, redid my hair, made sure I had water and wasn’t injured yet again despite me telling her I was fine. Only once I’d let her check over every inch of me again did she finally give me a little space.

I hovered by the window in the living room, searching for any sign of Dad and the others bringing Ebbe back but an hour had passed with nothing.
Gisli had shut herself in my room and I couldn't blame her really, she was upset about her brother. Fenna had tried to speak to her but she didn’t want to talk. Still, nobody would tell me exactly what happened, what went wrong.

Sighing in frustration, I rested my head against the wall before looking over at Fenna.

"How did they know to come?"

"Gisli told us," she replied after a sip of the tea Mum had brought for us. Mine was sat abandoned on the fireplace, I couldn’t stomach another drink.

My eyes flicked up as if I could see through the roof to where Gisli was probably sat on my bed watching TV. "I don't understand. How would she know?"

Fenna shrugged and looked up too. "It's a twin thing I guess. They've got this eerie ability to almost sense the feelings of the other. We didn't notice it at first but a few odd instances brought it to light. Gisli injured herself and somehow Ebbe felt the pain too, he knew she was upset somewhere and led us to her. Signy said she's heard of it before with some twins, it’s said Hati and Sköll could do the same."

I didn’t know much about who Hati and Sköll were but I nodded anyway. This explanation was the only one that made any real sense no matter how odd it was. These twins were more than just close then, I’d seen enough of they’re relationship to understand it was something more. If they could sense each other, it explained their protectiveness over the other.

But what had Gisli sensed exactly? That Ebbe had lost control, and shifted? Could she feel his emotions almost like a matebond allowed? Did she know what set him off? Either way it was...creepy. And it still didn’t tell me why.

"Remember to start looking out clothes to pack," Mum said from the door.

I blinked, then frowned in confusion as she chuckled. "The council meeting, remember? You still want to come, right?"

"Ah, yeah. I remember. I'll do that tonight." I smiled and she nodded before spinning out of the room again, ever rushed off her feet.

"Alpha Roarke is letting you go with her?" Fenna asked curiously.

I nodded. "I think she wants me to see how it all works, and to meet the other Alphas. Maybe she's hoping I'll charm them into backing my claim."

"You? Charm?"

Picking up the nearest cushion, I chucked it at her but she easily batted it away with a laugh. "You don't need to charm them, Raeghan. You need to show them you're as strong and capable as any male heir."

She was right there, and it made me wonder exactly what my Alpha Female's reasoning was for deciding to take me now. Whatever they were, I could bet that she hadn't told Dad.
The creak of the front door opening finally announced the arrival of the others and the others. I sprung up from the window seat and darted for the door, frowning when there was no sign of Ebbe. Beta Bjarke and Dad went into the kitchen, while Orin passed me into the living room, and I paused before following my Alpha.