Chapter 36 ~ The New Hierarchy

Chapter 36: The New Hierarchy
~

“Brenna’s son, really?” Siannon gasped, stirring the huge pot of soup so vigorously, red splattered over the wall.

Hushing her quickly my eyes darted around the kitchen to make sure nobody had heard. “It’s not common knowledge right now. But yes, he confirmed it when he spoke to my father. That’s about all Dad told me about what they spoke about.”

I huffed and shoved another tray of shortbread in the oven, mumbling to myself all the while. “Why would he bother to put me in charge of Braden if he’s not going to share what was said. It’s unfair.”

“I think all this new responsibility is getting to your head and you forget your place, young Padawan,” my friend quipped.

The oven door shut a little harder than I meant it to but Siannon only laughed and started paying attention to her work again.

The council alphas would arrive tomorrow, and because Mum and Dad wanted nearby pack members to attend to make a show of unity, it meant cooking up as much food as possible to keep everyone happy. If the council brought wolves of their own, there would already be tension from posturing to deal with. Food was always a good way to diffuse brawls amongst Wulvers

“So where is Braden? Back downstairs? What will happen to him now?”

“Dad’s let him have the spare room down the hall from Ebbe and I. The door’s locked and someone is always nearby to make sure it stays that way. Though I think he understands that his best bet of getting his life back, and answers to all the questions he’s got, is to remain on our good side. Apart from that, I’m as in the dark about what comes next as you are.”

I quietened when Ruiraidh walked past the door, his gaze meeting mine and scanning the room before he kept going. Siannon tensed too for a moment.

“The entire territory being on complete lockdown is better how?” she muttered, casting a dark look at the roof like she could see Braden through it.

“It’s just until we’re sure he won’t run, and that there won’t be any other nasty surprises popping up.”

That didn’t soften the pinch to her features though. Everyone was walking around like they’d rather be watching Braden being booted out the pack, or executed, than having us taking precaution to keep him here. And safe from other Alpha’s.

Part of me wondered if that was why Dad had so many trusted wolves at the house. Maybe he was more worried about a disgruntled pack member coming in to deal with Braden themselves, than the male escaping. We were taking a risk. It would be easier to just hand the damn male over and allow the council to have satisfaction. If Tàmas wasn’t the very reason Braden was here in the first place. . .

“He won’t stay here, will he? After the council has been dealt with I mean.” Tasting the soup again, she kept her gaze low. She knew she was pushing it with her questions. Unranked in the pack, it was only her friendship with me that made her privy to most of the things she knew about inner pack affairs.

I shrugged, scrunching my nose as I put away the last of the sandwiches for tomorrow. “I don’t know.”

And that was the truth. I’d been told nothing.

“Now Dad’s back on his feet, I’ve been shoved out of place again.”

Siannon stopped stirring to glance at me, her brow furrowed as blue eyes searched my face. I shouldn’t have said that. I didn’t even mean it either. Everyone had been on edge and snappy the last few days, perhaps because the growing tension thickening the air was close to reaching a snapping point.