Chapter 39 ~ To Break It

Chapter 39: To Break It
~

Tomàs didn't waste any time stripping. The air crackled with electricity and before I could blink, the pop of bones met my ears and he shifted to fur. Clothes lay in tatters around him, a piece of white shirt billowing across the grass in the breeze. Sides heaving, thick grey fur stood on end as the Alpha growled at me, prowling back and forth until the crowd moved enough to give us space.

With a shudder, I closed my eyes and let my power flow out through my limbs, triggering my own shift. There was a slight sting as skin stretched and shrank around healing wounds, and my bones snapped jarringly into place, but thoughts of any pain I was in was blurred by determination.

The world was sharper in this form, colours more vibrant and clear so I could make out the flutter of individual leaves on the trees down the hill. But it was Tomàs I was focussed on, the Alpha's scent tinged petrol tanged anger that burned my nose as his eyes glowed an eerie Wulven amber.

Older he may have been, but muscle still bulged as he set his sights on me. I could feel my own strength with each stride I took, muscles rolling beneath sleek fur as I zigzagged towards him with my head lifted up, ear perked, tail held high.

Thoughts became singular, primal, focussed only on the male snapping sharp fangs in my direction, growing tired of waiting. But I was a patient hunter and I had to do this right. I may have been faster, but our strength was on somewhat even ground, if not tipping the scales in his favour, so one wrong step, one lapse of concentration, and I knew any dreams I had of being Alpha would be snatched away. Because losing to Tomàs now would be a near impossible defeat to bounce back from.

The wheels of fate had always been turning to this moment.

Ignoring everyone that watched, the tickling sensation of eyes boring into me spreading heat along my fur, I sounded out my intent. Part roar, part growling challenge, never had I exuded such strength with a breath that rattled the windows and shook The Morrigan's crows from their nests.

It caused Tomás to truly take notice of me, and as soon as he did, I gave him no chance to study how I moved. Brown mud and white daises kicked up behind me as I tore through the grass towards him, lowering my head with my tail straight out behind me. Tomàs decided to hold his ground, front legs widening to plant himself firmly in place.

Lips peeled back, he gave me a wolfish grin, daring me to test brute strength.

Before going to Jakkon and Signy, maybe I would have been cocky enough to try. Since coming back, I'd left my immature ego behind.

Lunging right at the last second, my momentum spun me around as my front claws raked across the ground. Tomàs had no choice but to move to fend off attack, but not before I got a good grip of his hind leg between strong jaws, bone grinding under my teeth before I quickly released and leapt away.

My tongue flicked out to lap at the few drops of copper red that stained my maw, spurring on feral instincts.

Roaring in fury, Tomàs leapt forward, spittle flying from his mouth as he snapped millimetres from my ear, the sound rattling through my skull. I danced out of his way easily, darting around him like we were playing a dangerous game of tag.

Frustration burned in his yellowing eyes but he didn't let up, determined to taste my blood as I had his, taunted by the smell of it in the air.

A wolfish chuckle rumbled forth. My ears twitched towards the mumble of voices in skin that I couldn't understand when my fur was in complete control. What they were saying didn't matter anyway.