XXVI: Valentines Day Gifts

It had been more than a month since they had been officially "approved" by both families and now, Rose and Scorpius were back at Hogwarts, studying hard for NEWTS. In spite of how much everyone said they were meant to be, their competitive streak had not died out and the initial academic friendship had long since died out. Both of them spent every waking moment in the common room or in their dorms, going over curses and hexes and the differences over and over again. They spent hours turning cushions in rabbits and logs into little wooden houses. This got to the point that Rose and Scorpius started their own rabbit-and-wooden-house business. They called it RAWHB for short. 

Another thing that had come up out of the blue was the fighting. They were so intellectually on par that they constantly argued about anything and everything. Students said that it was just the competition and stress of the NEWTS but everyone could see that they had moved out of their honeymoon phase and were properly into their relationship. They would have thought that the pair had broken up if they hadn't caught one of them looking at the other when the other wasn't looking. They looked at each other with the utmost amount of respect and admiration and they always smiled slightly when they saw each other. These looks were enough to tell anyone who had doubts that they still liked each other. But they argued much more than looked and, on Valentine's Day, a particularly loud argument was heard outside the Great Hall. 

"They taste horrible!"

"How can you not like chocolate?!"

"I love chocolate! I just don't like the horrible-tasting Valentine's Day chocolates!"

"Well I'm sorry for thinking it would be romantic to get you a box of chocolates!"

"Everyone knows that a Valentine's Day chocolates are horrible!"

"Well didn't!"

"Clearly! If you did, maybe you would have gotten me something like... oh I don't know... off the top of my head, a book!"

"Who gives a book as a Valentine's Day present?!"

"You know what I got you?!"

"What?!"

"Here!" The doors opened the Great Hall burst into immediate chatter to act as if it wasn't eavesdropping. Rose walked in and everyone got a glimpse of a completely stunned-looking Scorpius. He was looking down at a chocolate frog card. Nobody knew what the big deal was but both Rose and Scorpius knew that Scorpius had been pining after one card for ages: Lithilla the Lost. And that was the one Rose had given him. It was a very rare card. He walked into the Great Hall after a few moments and, instead of walking towards the Slytherin table, walked towards the Gryffindor table. He reached the table and stood behind Rose, who was sitting opposite Lily. Rose knew he was standing behind her but refused to look up at him. Finally he said, "Rose?"

The entire Great Hall had fallen silent around them. Sure, they were together and that was weird enough: A Gryffindor and a Slytherin?! But now he had actually gone to her table. Even the Ravenclaws who usually couldn't care less had stopped to watch. Rose, noticing the silent and the amount of added awkwardness said, "Maybe we should go outside."

"No! Come on, Rosie! It's Valentine's Day!" Fred protested. 

"All the more reason we should go outside." She said, glaring at Fred. 

"No. It's okay. They want a show and they're going to get one." Scorpius said prompting Rose to look at him, half-glaring, half-astonished. He said, "By the end of this day, you'll have a book. And trust me, you'll love it. You can even add to it if you want."