XIII: First Date

"Tonight's the night." Scorpius said, dropping a kiss on Rose's head as he passed by to the opposite side of the common room downstairs, to get his bag. Rose smiled and said, "Tonight it is." Although, internally, she was dreading tonight with every fibre of her being. She was really scared that something would go wrong and that it wouldn't live up to her expectations. But, more than anything, she was terrified of being in a relationship. Scorpius, on the contrary, was immensely confident about the night. He believed that nothing could go wrong since he had looked into everything. The house elves were to bring them food and put it out before they arrived so that Rose wouldn't protest (she got her elf protection genes from her mother) and it was going to be romantic, beside a river which was going to look old and fairytale-like. He couldn't remember the last time he was looking forward to something so much.

They went about their classes as usual that day, exchanging subtle glances. And when the word subtle is used, it means very obvious glances. None which went unnoticed by Albus. Who, of course, reported to Lily, who finally came to the conclusion that they were, in fact, together. But she decided not to tell Rose that she had figured something out because she wasn't sure if it was true or if Al was seeing things. Knowing Al, it was probably the latter. So she chose not to act on her "discovery".

During lunch, Rose and Scorpius snuck off to the Astronomy Tower and sat there, looking out at the Forbidden Forest, just talking and laughing. Head Girl and Boy duties didn't seem as important as they were and even Rose managed to brush away the nagging feeling to go and attend to duties. Finally lunch was over and they had to go back to their classes. Before leaving, Scorpius put an arm around her waist and pulled her close and said, "Tonight is going to be amazing."

"That's what she said." Rose said, unable to contain herself. Scorpius looked at her, puzzled and curious. She shook her head, telling him that it was a muggle joke and that he shouldn't bother himself with it. He narrowed his eyes at her but nodded and let it go. Then they parted ways, going back to their previous routine of sneaking not-so-subtle glances at each other.

Finally classes were done and Rose went straight upstairs to see what she had to wear. Throwing open her cupboard revealed that she had...nothing.

"Nothing?!" Lily exclaimed minutes later when Rose had gone seeking help in the Gryffindor girl dormitory. She had only told Lily that she was going on a date (with whom she hadn't said) and she needed something to wear.

"Shout louder, I don't think Al heard you in the boys dormitory!" Rose hissed, angrily. Lily rolled her eyes and said, "Seriously, though. How can you have nothing to wear! You belong to one of the most famous Wizarding families ever!"

"Says the daughter of The Chosen One." The children often teased Harry by calling him The Chosen One, The Boy Who Lived and other such embarrassing titles he had acquired while he was busy battling the most evil wizard of all time.

"Shut up. He's your uncle."

"But he's still your father." Rose sang off-key and Lily glared at her. She smiled guiltily, pushing Lily's wand away so that she wouldn't reach for it and start using Rose as OWL practical practice.

"Anyway," Lily said, glowering, "we need to find you something to wear. Since I'm assuming it's Scorpius Malfoy, I think you should go for something black. Black always looks good and sexy. But not too black. Because that'll look like you're attending a funeral." She was talking so fast that it took Rose a few moments to realise what she had said about Scorpius. She quickly said, "Um what?!"

"Well, Rose, I don't know if you know this but people wear black to---"

"No! About Scorpius! We're not dating!"