III: Cupboards And Plans

It had been nearly a week since everyone had been back at Hogwarts. Rose woke up and the first thing she saw was Lily's nose. She screamed and fell off the bed. The minute the scream and the falling happened, the door to her room flew open and there stood Scorpius in a pair of pajama bottoms and topless, holding out his wand. Rose stared at his body. It was not the definition of perfect. But it was pretty close. Someone cleared their throat and she came back to reality, looking up and catching Scorpius' eye. He raised an eyebrow at her. Lily said, "Malfoy. What an… unexpected surprise."

"I thought I heard a scream." 

"You did. That was me. Sorry to wake you. Lily's face was a little to close for comfort." The minute Rose said those words, she realized what they could have meant and mentally kicked herself. Scorpius raised an eyebrow again and Lily said, "I wanted to scare her awake. So I stood with my face really close to hers and she got scared and fell off the bed." Scorpius' lips had twitched up into a smile and his eyes shone with amusement when Lily told him that. Rose knew that he was doing everything he could not to burst out laughing. She scowled at him and said, "How did you even get in, Malfoy. I didn't think that boys were allowed into the dorms for girls."

"Just because nobody tried doesn't mean it isn't possible." Scorpius said. 

"Actually," Lily said, "that's not true. My father and Uncle Ron tried to get into the girl dorms to meet Aunt Hermione. They didn't succeed."

"Really, Potter. What hasn't your father done or tried to do?" Scorpius said, looking at her, dumbfounded.

"Don't answer him, Lily. Malfoy, get out." Rose said when Lily opened her mouth to answer. Scorpius nodded and left. Lily turned to her the minute the door closed behind him and said, "He likes you."

"No he doesn't."

"It's obvious. He practically ran into the room to save you: his damsel of distress!"

"First of all, it's damsel in distress. And second of all, he ran in here to see what the hell had happened. I don't remember him actually picking me up and putting me back on my bed after he saw that I had fallen off the bed. He stood there and laughed at me."

"To be fair he only laughed at you in his head." Lily pointed out and Rose rolled her eyes. She said, "Either way, he was here purely for some entertainment. I think he got that and I'm not particularly happy about it. But I don't care."

"So you don't find him attractive?" 

"There's a difference between finding someone attractive and actually liking them. Plus, he's Scorpius Malfoy. He's a class-A git and not someone I want to be acquainted with. He's too good-looking for his own good and half the girls in Hogwarts want him to get into bed with them." 

"Well can you blame them? With a body like that---" 

"You know Albus will personally kill you if he hears you saying something like that about Malfoy, don't you?" Rose said and Lily blushed faintly.

"What Al doesn't know won't kill him." Lily said and then waited for Rose to get ready so that they could go downstairs for breakfast together. Soon enough, they were on their way to the Great Hall. When they entered, Rose found herself searching the Slytherin table for Scorpius. She found him and caught his eye. Immediately she looked away and concentrated on what Lily was saying. Something about hippogriffs and their prejudices towards pure bloods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They had made eye contact. Scorpius was sure of it. He had caught her looking at him. Was she looking for him? That doesn't matter. She had caught his eye. Did it mean something? No, it couldn't mean anything. Did it? Somewhere at the back of his mind, Scorpius was aware that Charles was talking to him. Suddenly Charles stopped talking. Had he asked him a question? Or did he finally realize that Scorpius wasn't listening? He hoped it was the latter.