XXV: Three Down

"Are you completely sure about this? You know there's no turning back from this now, don't you?" Scorpius said, looking at Rose who looked closer to saying no by the second. 

"You know I can never be completely sure about anything."

"Yes. It's one of your many... er... unique qualities." Scorpius said and Rose rolled her eyes.

"Nice save. But now there isn't any scope to turn back and, since my parents have said okay, as have yours, let's just get it over with." Rose said, raising a fist to knock on the door of the Burrow. It was New Years Eve and the Weasley family was coming in. Bill and Fleur were flying in. So was Charlie. Percy and his wife, Audrey, were coming. George and Angelina were coming. Ron and Hermione were obviously coming. And finally, Ginny and Harry were coming. Not to mention, all the cousins from all over. Out of all the Weasley siblings, Charlie had managed to remain a bachelor and a very loving uncle.

"This is pretty much the entire Weasley family. How, exactly, are we going to 'get it over with'?" 

"We're going to go in, have dinner, kiss when the clock strikes twelve and come out and go home, okay?"

"I'm sorry. The only word I caught in that sentence was kiss." Scorpius said, with a grin. Rose rolled her eyes but couldn't hold back a smile.

"Just don't say things like that in front of my family and you'll be fine." She said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before knocking on the door. Within seconds the door opened and, before even seeing her, Rose was enveloped by Molly Weasley in the smothering hug every member of the Weasley family seemed to get. But she didn't mind. Her grandmother always smelt of amazing food and, no matter how full Rose felt, her stomach would always give a small rumble when she smelt the foody scent. Once Mrs. Weasley let go of her, she turned to look at Scorpius and said, "And who is this young gentleman? Brought a date, have we, Rosie?" 

"Actually, yes, grandma. I'd like you to meet Scorpius Malfoy." Rose said, sounding more confident than she felt. Mrs. Weasley paled slightly and said, "Er, what was that, dear? I'm not sure I caught what you said. It sounded as if you said Mal---"

"That's because I did. This is Scorpius Malfoy. Son of Draco Malfoy."

"But... his hair..."

"What about it?"

"It's too... blonde!"

"That's just because of the sunlight, grandma. It's perfectly pale when he's indoors. Speaking of which, may we come in?"

"What? Oh yes. Of course. Arthur went to the Leaky Cauldron to get some butterbeer and firewhisky. I suppose you'll be having firewhisky? Since you're old enough now?" Mrs. Weasley said, moving aside to allow the couple entrance. Scorpius entered beside Rose and looked around the Burrow. The Burrow was as old and creaky as ever. The staircase had been enchanted by Fred II so that, everyday, one random step would fall when you put your foot on it. Due to this, the entire Weasley had mastered the art of bouncing up and down the staircase so even with the Falling Step (which was oh-so-cleverly named by James), the staircase was still usable.

Scorpius hadn't. 

Within the first half hour of being in the Burrow, Scorpius managed to get his foot very embarrassingly stuck a few steps from the bottom of the staircase, causing him to topple over and fall in a crumpled heap at the bottom of the staircase. Rose hurriedly helped him up, both their faces aflame while some of the Weasleys tried to conceal their laughter. It was completely clear already that Scorpius wasn't the most welcome person in the house since every time he entered a room, the room would fall silent and he would be stared at as he awkwardly made his way across the room to take a seat next to Rose. Once, in the living room, Rose was sitting at the edge of the couch and, after arguing with himself that he couldn't sit on the couch's armrest, Scorpius spent the next five intensely awkward minutes sitting next to Ron who kept glaring at him out of the corner of his eye. Scorpius nearly cried with relief when Rose announced that she was going to get some water and asked him to help her with the pitcher.