IV: Not Everything Happens In Detention

Scorpius and Rose were in their common room. Both of them were pondering over an essay for Transfiguration. By this time into the school year, they had an unspoken agreement that they would do their homework together in the common room since they were receiving so much and so, if one of them had a head start, they could exchange essays. Although they hadn't exchanged essays even once so far. They hadn't even spoken to each other since they had caught the two fifth years snogging. Lily was still convinced that they liked each other while they were bent on not speaking to each other. Every time one of them were going to start a conversation, the other would leave the room. It was almost telepathic. And it was one of those nights during which both Head Girl and Boy were swamped with work and nearly drowning in parchment. Rose was having a particularly difficult time concentrating on her homework because her mind was on other things. Like the way Lily had been acting for the past two days. As a matter of fact, Lily, Fred, Hugo and Roxanne had all been acting the same way and nobody had told Albus anything because he was the biggest blab in Hogwarts and none of them had told Rose. But that evening, something different happened. It started with Roxanne bursting through the door, saying, "Rose! The Astronomy Tower! Now!" 

"What happened?" Rose said, standing up immediately. Scorpius stood up too, although his presence was yet to be acknowledged by Roxanne. 

"They're saying that someone's stuck up there. Magical invisible wall or something. You need to get there quick!" Rose nodded and followed Roxanne out of the door, glancing over at Dumbledore's portrait, which was empty. She hoped he would be back by the time she got back to her common room. Somewhere along the way, Roxanne morphed into Lily. Rose didn't notice when the transition had occurred but she assumed that following Lily was the right thing. She said, "I think I can find my way to the Astronomy Tower."

"I'm still helping you." Lily said and made three more turns. She had obviously taken some shortcuts because they were at the foot of the Astronomy Tower. Lily nodded at Rose. Rose started up the staircase, hoping desperately that there really was someone at the top because this tower was forbidden unless lessons took place. When Rose turned around, Lily wasn't there anymore. Her eyes widened. She realized that she could get detention for being out of bed at such an hour. Then she remembered what Lily had said about a boy's true nature coming out during detention. But she was too late. She could already hear footsteps. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scorpius had somehow mixed up all the flaming red hair. He realized soon enough that he wasn't following Rose but that he was following Roxanne. They turned another corner and ran into Professor McGonagall. Professor McGonagall stumbled and while Scorpius caught her, Roxanne melted into the shadows and disappeared. It was then that he realized that this was a set-up. But why would someone---especially Gryffindors--- set-up him and Rose Weasley. 

"Mr. Malfoy! What do you think you're doing out of bed at this hour?!" Professor McGonagall looked outraged. Just then, Fred Weasley II appeared and said, "Professor! Rose! The Astronomy Tower!"

"Doesn't she know that it's forbidden! Honestly… with a Head Boy and Girl like this…" she trailed off and started down the corridor. Scorpius followed her with Fred following them at a slight distance. Scorpius had a feeling that he was going to disappear at some point of time. 

And he was right. 

By the time they had reached the Astronomy Tower, Fred was nowhere to be seen. But by that point, Professor McGonagall didn't care anymore because there was a loud noise from above. Professor McGonagall went up the stairs, Scorpius right behind her. Once they reached the top, they found Rose, standing there, wand out, tip lit. And the light of the wand was falling on the wall where there was a big black patch. It looked like a firework has burst over there (and Scorpius strongly suspected that it had). She looked like a deer in the headlights (something Scorpius had heard from the countless muggles around him) as she stared at Professor McGonagall with wide, scared eyes. If the situation hadn't been so dire, Scorpius might have felt a stronger urge to just hold her. There was a very slight urge right now. Professor McGonagall, on the other hand, felt no such urge. On the contrary, she was furious. She breathed heavily and said, "Head Girl and Head Boy. I thought you'd know better. Do you know what time it is?! It's past midnight! The office. Now." Professor McGonagall had taken over Dumbledore's old office as her 'office' but she still preferred her Gryffindor staff room to this office. The minute they entered Dumbledore's office, Scorpius and Rose were overcome with awe. They stared around the office, taking in as much as possible. Behind the desk was a huge portrait of Dumbledore. He was currently in it and wide awake, looking at them with amusement. Professor McGonagall paced before them, not bothering to sit down or offer them a seat. Rose stared at the ground, her face red with embarrassment. Scorpius did the same, although his gaze darted all over the room, looking at everything out of the corner of his eye.