XVIII: Double Date Drama

Scorpius came down the stairs to the common room to find Rose lying across the sofa, a book propped up against the armrest and she had one hand under her chin and the other lazily turning the pages, reading. He frowned: They were supposed to be at the Great Hall for dinner. He said, "No dinner?"

"Hmm? No. I was thinking that maybe we could just eat here."

"In the common room?"

"Yeah."

"May I ask why?"

"Because it's a long walk to the Great Hall. Pair that with moving staircases and I just don't want to go."

"Makes sense." Scorpius said, although it didn't. He went to the sofa and glanced at the book. It was something he had never read. He frowned and said, "What's that?"

"It's called a book, Scor."

"I know that." He said, rolling his eyes. "What's it about?"

"It's about this adopted girl who lives in Nazi Germany and loves to read. It's really interesting because it's told from the point of view of Death." She said, raising the book so that he could see the title. His eyebrows shot up and he nodded at the cover in approval. She placed the bookmark in between pages and shut the book before turning to him and saying, "So what are we doing for dinner?"

"Is it just me or did that sound like something we would say if we were married?" Scorpius said, raising an eyebrow. Rose felt a little horror but quickly brushed it off. She was about to respond with something witty when Lily came bursting in through the door, panting. She saw Rose and her worried expression changed to anger almost immediately. She pointed a finger at Rose, "You!" Then at Scorpius, "And you!"

"Do come in, Potter." Scorpius murmured soft enough so only Rose could hear. She hid a grin and said, "What happened Lily?"

"I thought... I thought something had happened to you two. The next time you decide to skip dinner, please let me know so I won't have to make Al endure an entire meal's worth of worry."

"Well we're really sorry." Rose said, before Scorpius could say something sarcastic and earn himself a hex.

"You had better be. Speaking of Al, he wanted to know if you and Malfoy would accompany him and Alice on a double date."

"A... double date." Rose repeated, her voice coated with unsureness.

"Yeah. I would go but I have to study for OWLs. And he wants to go on this Hogsmeade weekend which is when I have detention, sadly. So what do you say?"

"How about we talk about it and let you know?" Scorpius said and Lily nodded but didn't leave.

"We'll let you know later." Rose specified and realisation seemed to dawn upon Lily. She nodded and left. Rose was thinking deeply about everything that could go wrong.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Scorpius said.

"Oh no. I'll sell them for a dollar." Rose said, quoting from a song absentmindedly.

"What?"

"What? Oh no, nothing. I'm just thinking about it."

"I remember telling Potter that we would discuss it together."

"Right. I'm sorry. What do you think?"

"I think we should go for it."

"What?"

"What? I mean what could possibly go wrong — don't answer that. I'm just saying. We only live once right? Might as well do as much as possible."

"But...there are so many things that could go wrong!"