XXIV: Two Down

After the encounter with the Weasleys went better than either Rose or Scorpius could have hoped for, they knew it was time to meet the relatively scarier family: The Malfoys. Rose wasn't particularly looking forward to meeting the Malfoys, if she was being honest. But she knew she owed it to Scorpius. After all, he had braved her family. His family deserved to be braved too. So, after staying up late on the "telepan" (as Scorpius called it - Rose didn't bother correcting him), figuring out a way to work around every situation possible, they finally hung up (well, Rose did) and went to sleep.

The next morning, Rose met Scorpius for breakfast and they had a relatively quiet breakfast before browsing through shops. Rose bought a jade necklace for Rebecca and a pair of cuff-links for Draco. But she ended giving them to Scorpius to give them as Christmas presents to his parents. Finally, doing a side-along apparition, Rose went to the new Malfoy Manor with Scorpius. The new Malfoy Manor was much more friendly-looking compared to the one that Ron had used to scare Rose and Hugo in their childhood. Scorpius looked at her and said, "Ready?"

"It's now or never."

"Not necessarily. You can still leave."

"And that would be never." 

"Oh... right. Alright, then. After you?"

"I'd rather it were after you."

"I agree. I was just being nice."

"Yeah. Doesn't really suit you."

"Shut up." He said, taking her hand. Rose pulled away immediately because of the clamminess of her palm and so felt gross holding his hand. Scorpius understood and didn't try taking her hand. He pushed open the large door which led to the massive front hall. Rose followed him, awed at the amount of space. The place looked more like a museum or an art gallery than a home.

It's probably more homely upstairs. The voice in her head said. 

Yeah, probably.

Are you scared? 

Shouldn't you know how I'm feeling?

Oh excuse me for trying to be humane! 

Oh Merlin, here we go.

No, seriously. Every single time I try to be nice to you, you're sarcastic. It really hurts sometimes, you know. I may just be a voice in your head but I have feelings too. I have a heart. And I understand if you don't--- Rose shut the voice out (or rather, it got shut off automatically) when the platinum blonde head of Draco Malfoy descended the staircase with a pitch-black haired Rebecca Malfoy beside him. Since Scorpius was in front of Rose, their initial gaze landed on him. That is, until it shifted behind and noticed Rose, whose face was very quickly competing with the colour of her hair. Draco's eyes narrowed and he said, "Is that who I think it is? Scorpius?"

"Yes, father. Hello, by the way. And I would like you to meet my girlfriend: Rose Weasley."

"Scorpius, are you alright?" Were Draco's first words, after a pregnant pause.

"Yes, I'm quite alright, father, thank you for asking. Although I believe it is common courtesy to greet a guest first." Rose's eyebrows shot up at the clipped tone Scorpius was using with Draco. She hadn't expected him to be this... bold. Especially considering the unflattering ambience surrounding the family, making the paleness paler and blondeness more white than blonde.

"I did not mean to ask about your physical health. I meant to ask about your mental health." Draco responded, his eyes narrowing further. Rebecca, sensing the argument about to erupt, jumped in and said, "Now now, Draco. Weasley," she glanced at Rose with distaste, "or not, she is still a... guest, isn't she? And Scorpius is right. It is common courtesy to greet a guest. So, hello Ro--- Miss Weasley. And welcome to our home."