TD [41] Birthday Bust

Chapter Forty One

The door opened and Pearce was welcomed by the cause of all the dumb choices he'd started making in his adolescence.

"Well hot cross buns and bagels!" exclaimed Gigi as her eyes beheld the heart racing sight of Pearce and none other than the beloved black cardigan over his shirt. "Today really is my birthday." She grinned.

"You had doubts before? There's this thing called a calendar, y'know." Pearce casually stepped into the quiet household. Brooklyn probably wasn't home either.

"I thought you said you didn't assort yourself to match my eccentric taste." Gigi quoted.

"I don't. I just felt like wearing it." claimed Pearce.

"Well I'm glad you 'felt' like wearing it." chirped Gigi. She captured his lips fervently and the next second, her hands were locked around his neck.

The pair fell into their usual pattern as lips were locked, hands fumbling around and legs subconsciously shifting them to another location. In what seemed like the blink of an eye they were on the couch and it wasn't until they took a break to catch their breaths that Pearce comprehended the fuzzy object in front of him. "What the hell is that?" He blurted out.

Gigi followed his gaze to the massive teddy bear perched on the couch. A party hat slanted on its head and a fabric woven cake between its large puffy hands with a single candle.

"Oh, adorable right? Daniel gave it to me at rehearsals." Gigi stated, smiling.

Pearce frowned. "Last time I checked; you're not a five year old."

"You don't need to be a little kid to have toys." Gigi stated and glanced at the fluffy toy occupying a quarter of the couch space. "Cookie Bear, meet Pear Bear. He's gorgeous, isn't he?"

Pearce brushed aside the fact his now seventeen year old girlfriend was talking to a toy. "Cookie Bear?"

"The colour of the fur reminds me of cookie dough." Gigi explained. "And look," she proceeded to press the under of the cake and the glass flame of the candle evoked with a warm glow like a light bulb, "the light can also be green or blue! So cool, right?"

"If we lived in the era before electricity was discovered, then yeah. Mind-blowing." He replied dryly.

Gigi brushed off his snarky comments like always. "My iPod's in the kitchen, let me go grab it." She fitted her arms around the teddy bear. "Right after I put Cookie Bear to sleep."

"You're gonna put that thing in your bed?"

"It's not a thing. It's Cookie Bear." She corrected. "And no, not my actual bed. By my nightstand. My bed is strictly for me and sexy guys in khakis." She winked and sauntered upstairs.

Pearce knew his dislike towards the toy was purely out of biasness. He couldn't help it though. Daniel got to freely give her a present just like that but Pearce had to wait until the party time otherwise it'd be querying as to why he knew beforehand of her birthday. It suddenly felt like this surprise was more of an inconvenience for Pearce than anything else.

Gigi returned now with iPod in hand and also a short stack of board games and cards. "I thought it'd be better if we're a little occupied while the songs play."

Pearce nodded. "Alright then."

She sat cross-legged on the couch, switching off the television before commencing as she put it; broadening his music range. Though Pearce was skeptical he'd find anything likeable in the playlist she compiled, he willingly went along.

"One thing though," Gigi began, "if you like any of the songs please say so. Don't keep it to yourself."

Pearce nodded once more, peering at the time on his phone. 4:50pm. He'd have at least one hour and forty minutes before taking her to the big reveal and to think up a scheme to get her there without giving it away.