TD [47] The Unspoken Spoken

Chapter Forty Seven

Gigi had been dreaming. She had to be dreaming. There could be no other explanation as to why he was standing in front of her.

She rubbed her eyes frantically and blinked. Deep blue eyes stared back at her. He was still there.

"Pearce?" She uttered again in disbelief.

"Hey." He replied.

Gigi reclaimed the flashlight and approached him. Beside his feet, an overturned cooler which must've been what he'd knocked over.

"W-What are you doing here?"

Pearce focused his eyes on the scattered twigs beneath him. "Why else? For you."

The answer should've been obvious but she found herself stunned. "Me? But... what?"

"I saw the text you sent."

Gigi's brows knitted. "I sent that text yesterday."

"Yeah, I know. I was at the library and left my phone at home." He explained.

"You still would've seen it when you came back. What, did you sleep at the library?"

Pearce was blatantly alarmed by the edge in her tone, shoulders hunching in nervousness. Gigi knew she shouldn't have spoken in such a bitchy way but she wasn't wrong. It was no excuse for him not to have replied.

"Y-Yeah, okay. I did see it later at night but-

"But nothing. You saw it and just left it. Do you know how long I was waiting for an answer?"

"I'm sorry. It was a shitty thing to do." Pearce admitted. "That's why I went to your house this morning but your mum said you left for a camping trip. I was going to wait until you came back but it's like every single minute was moving by so slowly and I tried calling you but it wasn't going through. I thought that maybe you got mad at me and wanted to break up. I just couldn't sit at home, knowing you were out with Daniel and other guys I don't know."

"So you thought I would've cheated on you or something?"

"No. I... Maybe. I don't know! I wasn't sure we were even still dating so I couldn't exactly classify it as cheating anyway..." He raked a hand through his hair, restlessly.

Gigi could tell from his fidgety state he had gone through with this plan to come with an unsettled mind- no forethought. It was completely impulsive and capricious. Extremely unlike his rational and organised self.

"If I was breaking up with you, I would inform you and I had no intention to cheat on you either." Gigi folded her arms. "There, now you can rest assure and go home."

"No!" Pearce clutched her arm as he feared she'd walk away. "That's not why I came to see you. Look, what I said to you the other day was-

"Because of the hangover? Bullcrap." Gigi seethed. "Don't you dare try to blame it on that. You may have been agitated but you were fully sober and knew exactly what you meant. That's how you feel about me, isn't it? That I'm annoying and you're better off without me."

Gigi could accept when he threw insults and snide remarks out of irritation with no sincerity but this time, she couldn't shrug it off as that.

"I get that I was pushy and maybe made you feel like you had to go along with it and I'm sorry." Gigi apologised. "We're different but that's one of the things I like about you, Pearce. I was never trying to conform you to how I am or my friends. I just wanted to include you but maybe that was wrong."

"No, it wasn't." Pearce denied. "You didn't do anything wrong. Listen, I... what I said back there... I won't say I was incorrect because statistically speaking; it's an accurate deduction. I'm happy with confiding myself in books, studying, and socialising when it's only mandatory. It's easy. Simple. Predictable. It was perfect." He confessed. "And then you obstruct that. You make me socialise more than my regulation, I deviate from my study routines because I suddenly want to talk to you and I can't concentrate until then and everything with you becomes unpredictable, I get more stressed out than ever. In theory; you should be everything that makes me miserable.