TD [7] The Conways

Life without you is like a broken pencil... pointless.

Chapter Seven

Although Gigi had generously been given a pardon from her dare, the idea of messing about with Pearce in his house was too good of an opportunity to pass up. The flabbergast expression on Pearce's face from finding her in his bedroom was proof it was worth it.

"Jesus, you really are stalking me aren't you?" Pearce concluded. "How'd you get in? Climb in through the window? You know what, I don't care. Just get the hell out."

"Aw, but you just got here." She pouted, patting the side of the bed. "Let's chat for a bit."

"I'm not kidding. Leave or I'm calling the cops on you for breaking and entering."

"I didn't break in. Your mum let me in."

Pearce's brows knitted. "She what?"

"Didn't she tell you I came up here to wait for you?"

Pearce turned and stepped out the room. He was no longer bothered in hearing what the girl had to say. For all he knew, she was actually crazy and talking like she was invited. The mentally ill tended to twist the truth.

Mrs. Conway and Mrs. Gibson's conversation was interrupted by Pearce rushing down from the stairs to them. "Mum some lunatic broke into the house and is claiming you let her in. I don't think she's armed but we can't be sure she won't lash out if provoked."

The two ladies turned to one another, then laughed.

"I'm serious mum! She could—"

"What's so funny?" A voice cut in.

Pearce jolted upon seeing the intruder standing behind him.

"Pearce just said the funniest thing," Elaine told her. "I've never heard him joke around like that before."

"Trust me," Mrs. Gibson began.
"When my daughter is around you long enough, she'll bring about all sides of you."

"Daughter?" Pearce whipped his head to the girl then back to the guest. He was now noticing the resemblance. "She's your daughter?"

Mrs. Gibson nodded, partly confused as to why this was news to him.

"You weren't listening to a word I said before, were you?" Elaine guessed. By his lack of words, it was answer enough and she sighed. "Pearce, I said this is your friend's mother, Mrs. Gibson and she's upstairs waiting for you."

Pearce frowned. "She's not my friend. I don't even know her."

"That's the same thing you said when I first met Jessie," his mother countered.

Pearce let out a frustrated groan, realising he wasn't getting anywhere in making her see that pest was unwelcomed. "Whatever, just quit letting people into my room without my permission."

"I'd be happy to meet those terms," Elaine replied. "When you pay the bill for all the electric appliances you use and all the furniture your father and I put in your room."

Mrs. Gibson adjusted her glasses, giving a nod. "Oh, that seems fair."

Pearce narrowed his eyes at his mother who sat there, expectantly for his answer.

"I'll accept a cheque too," she added.

Scowling, Pearce made his way back up the steps and Gigi followed suit. "I've gotta say, I'm liking your mum more and more," she started.