TD [19] Free Or Fall

If you were a triangle, you'd be acute one.

Chapter Nineteen

Gigi hopped down from the car and tailed behind Daniel along the pathway of the two storey house before them.

Knowing her parents would more than likely flip if she came home smelling like alcohol, Gigi hadn't even mentioned the party because she knew they'd refuse. So she claimed she'd be having a sleepover at Sierra's.

Since her last visits to the Le Noir residence, the place looked exactly the same aside from maybe an additional new vase. Despite the interior being impeccably tidy, there was that lack of warmth Gigi always got from the place. The ambiance was hollow as if no one actually lived there. It creeped her out a bit but she figured it was only because she didn't grow up staying in the upper class part of the city.

"Isn't your dad and Amy gonna mind that you're having a friend round this late?" Gigi questioned in a hushed voice.

"He's not home— business trip. Amy went with him," Daniel informed her in a flat tone.

He'd been in a glum mood ever since he'd had his talk with Sapphire and announced to Gigi they were leaving. Gigi suggested watching a movie or two but Daniel declined, saying he was tired when it was only a quarter past nine. She was then certain something was wrong.

So Gigi settled on the couch on her own, watching reruns of CSI on tv before retiring to bed in the guestroom. On the neatly made bed were pajamas Daniel had left for her to borrow whenever she'd stay the night. As usual, he'd leave two pairs; one of his own and one of his stepmother's night gowns with a robe. He'd assure her it was one she didn't use and had dozens of others but that wasn't enough to be persuasive.

Gigi found wearing Scooby Doo bottoms far more comfortable than the nightie of a woman she'd only spoken to on three occasions with all of them greetings and once to say, "No, Mrs. Le Noir, I'm not the girl Daniel was fooling around with in your husband's golf cart."

Weary and emotionally drained from all that occurred that day, Gigi fell asleep with ease not long after wrapping herself in the covers. At some point, she was stirred from her slumber by her phone ringing. Her eyes squinted as she read the caller ID from the light that was harshly bright compared to the dark room. Gigi couldn't help but feel a little down that it wasn't Pearce like she had hoped.

She answered. "What is it, Daniel?"

"I can't sleep."

"So you decided to interrupt mine?"

"Come. I need company."

Gigi groaned yet nonetheless, she dragged her feet up the stairs and stepped into Daniel's room. The boy abruptly sat up, eager at her arrival. Then he stifled a laugh. "God, my pajamas are swallowing you. It's hilarious."

"I'll go back downstairs if you don't shut it," she warned.

"Okay, okay. I'm done. Now come over here." He beckoned her, patting the space beside him.

Gigi complied with a sigh, situating herself on the king sized bed which was admittedly a lot more cosier than the one in the guestroom. Daniel coiled an arm around her torso, keeping her close.

"Have you ever considered getting a dog so you can rely on it to do these kind of things?" She stifled a yawn.

"No, but maybe I should," Daniel mused. "Dad would probably be fine with it but Amy might make a fuss. She's not fond of animals unless she can wear it."