TD [31] The Calm

Chapter Thirty One

Gigi was cheerfully humming as she got dressed for school that morning. She sashayed down the the stairs with her backpack slung over her shoulder and came into the kitchen to find Daniel with her mother and Brooklyn. He'd be driving Gigi and her brother to school in the meantime her car was still at the mechanics.

"Morning." She greeted with a radiant smile.

"Someone's in a good mood." Daniel commented.

"I guess." Gigi concurred, pulling out a stool to sit beside him.

Her mother hurriedly served her a plate of eggs and bacon while manoeuvring around in a frantic motion to answer her ringing phone. "Yes, hello? Hi, it's Hannah Gibson. Did you get my message that I won't be coming to the retirement home today? Okay, just wanted to make sure. Again, sorry. Thanks." The call ended and she turned to Daniel. "Daniel would you mind picking Brooklyn up for his play date after school for me today?"

Gigi snickered while Brooklyn groaned. "Mum, I told you, it's not a play date! I'm too old for that."

"But you're not too old to play dress up?" Gigi questioned.

Brooklyn glared. "It's not dress up. It's LARP."

"Yeah which has the words role-play in it." Gigi countered. "Same thing, dummy."

"Shut up!" Brooklyn snapped.

"You two, stop it." Their mother ordered before a fight broke out between the siblings. "So Daniel?"

"Yeah sure. No problem, Mrs. Gibson." Daniel assured her.

"Okay thanks." Mrs. Gibson glanced at the time on her watch and moaned. "We need to be at the train station in less than twenty minutes. Dean!" She yelled to her husband upstairs. "Are you dressed yet?"

There was no response and she groaned, "This is why going anywhere with that man is annoying. He plans something but then never keeps to time." She grumbled, gaiting out of the kitchen to see why her husband was delaying.

"Your parents going somewhere?" Daniel asked.

"Yeah, a trip for their anniversary." Gigi explained. "Y'know, celebrate their marriage before me and that gremlin over there showed up."

"Who are you calling a gremlin? Have you looked in a mirror?" Brooklyn shot back, earning him a scowl from his sister.

"Yeah, I can see why they'd want to celebrate that." said Daniel. "So, how long are they gonna be away for?"

"Five days." Gigi said.

"Which means I can have Nate and the fellas over for as long as I want." plotted Brooklyn.

"Don't even think about bringing any of your friends over. It's a nightmare cleaning up after you-I'm not putting up with five more dorks." Gigi said sternly. "Plus, we shouldn't be having people around just 'cause mum and dad won't be home. That's an abuse of their trust in us."

As much as Brooklyn wanted to start an argument, he knew his sister was right. "Fine. Whatever." He sulked.

"Good."

"Wow, you are such a wet blanket." Daniel told her.

"I am not." Gigi denied. "It's called being responsible."

"And a wet blanket." Brooklyn quipped.

His sister glared. "Shut up, Brooklyn you don't even know what that means."

"I do too."

"Just let the kid have his fun, Gigi."

"Don't bother, Daniel." Brooklyn told him. "If it means getting to make me miserable, she's always wet."