18 | the drone

❝ 𝑾𝒉𝒐'𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒆?
𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔,
𝒘𝒉𝒐'𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒆
𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰'𝒎 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒏𝒂 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚?
𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒐𝒏
𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝑰 𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝑰'𝒎 𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒖𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐
𝒃𝒆𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖 ❞

𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝑫𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

* * * * * * *

warning: description of attempted assault at the end of this chapter. I'll put a * to let you know when it starts from so if you wish to skip, you have the choice to.

T H E A

After we finish the game of bowling and give Aven our gifts, we head out to a local restaurant, Morello's. It's one of many Italian restaurants in New Orleans and the food is amazing.

We sit at one of the tables and Shyla informs me that she already told the staff that it's Aven's birthday so they will come out and embarrass her soon by singing happy birthday to her in front of the whole restaurant.

Personally, if I was in her position I would throw myself out of the window, I hate it when people sing happy birthday to me. I get myself into such a state when I know I'm the centre of attention. It's stupid really but I can't help it.

"I still can't believe Thea won," Brody scoffs and I raise brow, questioning his statement.

"Why is that Brody?" I ask sarcastically and he looks over at me from his spot at the table and smiles cheekily.

"Oh, no reason," he replies defensively and I chuckle, glancing down at the menu as I decide what I want to order. 

I can feel Rio's eyes on me like a moth drawn to flame and when I look up, I prove myself right. "What can I do for you Rio?" I ask mockingly and he wets his lips, his eyes practically piercing through my skin.

"You're not coming to The Drone are you?" He asks and I look up at him confusingly.

"Why? Don't you want me to go?" I ask and he blows a bust of air through his nose.

His eyes close for a split second before he turns to face me again. Why we ended up sitting next to each other when I had six other people who I could have sat in-between confuses me, but it obviously just happened through pure coincidence. I think.

"Thea, don't do this again." He says quietly and I tilt my head a little. "You need to know that this really isn't the type of place you should be, especially The Drone. It attracts a lot of different people, none who I would even intentionally cross."

I reach across the table and take a pen which Brody was using to draw patterns on his napkin and unfold the one that is in front of me, causing Rio to arch a brow with confusion.

"What are you doing?" He asks and I take the cap off the pen, looking back up at him.

"I just didn't realise that you're an expert on my life and how I should live it. Please continue while I take notes," I say dryly and he narrows his eyes, glancing away from me as his lips part and he takes a deep breath.