35 | family dinner

❝ 𝑫𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖,
𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖
𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒎𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒅,
𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒊𝒇
𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒕𝒐𝒐 ❞

𝑹𝒖𝒆𝒍

* * * * * * *

T H E A

"And then a huge tidal wave came over out of literal thin air, and we all had to swim back to the shore." I explain as I recall my near death experience back in Florida in 2011. Those fucking wave machines are scary stuff.

I'm not the best of swimmers anyway, so why my parents thought it would be a good idea to allow me to go into a wave machine, has always baffled me. Unless they just wanted to kill me off and all of their other attempts went to shit. Perhaps that was the last option.

"Oh shit, what happened?" Ricky asks as he drinks some more of his milkshake.

"Well I got a little distracted by one if the hot lifeguards so I didn't actually hear the horn, or notice the wave coming towards us." I reply and he laughs, covering his mouth with a closed fist as it's still full of drink.

Shaking his head with a large smile, he swallows his mouthful and picks up the strawberry shake again. "So you almost drowned because you were distracted by a lifeguard?"

"Yep," I reply quickly as I bite into another donut.

Since Rio's little revelation last night, I've been struggling to come to terms with it. I honestly didn't know what to even say to him. Rio Mason, the boy who I first met when he did my freaking tattoo.. said that he wanted me.

No one ever wants me. Why would he?

I stayed and watched him race though. He won, obviously. Apparently the winnings were quite a sum, something I'm sure he'll spend wisely. Probably on his siblings or perhaps he'll invest it into the tattoo parlour.

He offered to take me home but I assured him I'd be fine going back with Shyla and Aven. Trust me, I would have agreed in a heartbeat but there was just something in the back of my mind telling me not to. I don't know what and I don't know why, but it was there and I couldn't ignore it.

I want to believe him. I wanted to accept everything he was saying and fucking kiss him, but I know that couldn't happen.

He made it pretty clear that he doesn't kiss on the lips and I don't know if I can completely believe him.

Navy is one of those girls who will always be there, no matter how many times you tell her to go away or how much you ignore her. She will despise the fact that Rio ditched her and when she finds out it was because of me, she'll make it her mission to ruin my freaking life.

I know girls like her all too well. It never ends well with them.

Ricky asked if I wanted to hang out tonight and honestly, I needed the distraction. It feels as though all I've done since last night is overthink every possible thing and being here, out of my bedroom and actually outside, appears to be helping.