Touring | Chapter III

During lunch, we discussed musicals and how we started musical theatre. I had a blast, I felt like I had known then for years, we had instant chemistry. When we finished having lunch we had to go back to the apartment so that they would tell us how to manage from now on, they had given us the morning free so as to wait for the new roommates, whose names were: the boys, Francisco, Martin, Lukas, Pedro, John (from England) and Tobías, and the girls were Angie that was part of the group and Mariana who wasn't. We arrived at the building at 3 pm, there were a lot of people waiting for us, they did a tour of the building and the theatre, then they told us how everything worked and they gave us the number of "the man in black" whose name was actually Jacob, but as we had never asked, they never told us. When they finished with the tour, about half an hour later, we went shopping, before leaving, Jacob told us that the two apartments didn't have to be necessarily divided the way they were, that was the conventional way but it could be changed. We decided that we would divide by "friend group", we had one member less so Mariana came with us. We all got along really well but we preferred sleeping with the people we already knew, the rest of our lives would be the same no matter how we were divided. We went to Macy's again so that the newcomers could buy decoration, also we asked Mariana if she wanted something from there, we told her what we had already bought so that she knew and she really liked everything, we had a very similar taste which would help a lot.

We stayed at Macy's for three hours and we got hungry so we bought something to eat in a little shop that was across the street. It was 6:30 pm so we bought a little bag of cookies for the fourteen of us. We went back to the apartment and showered. We were eating out, with the producers of the musical to talk about business. We put on formal clothing, appropriate to the occasion. That day I had bought a lovely dress from lululemon, and so did the girls, at the same place.

The place we were going, we had never heard of at least most of us except for Mariana, she was really into New York, her mom had been born here and lived most of her life until she met her father who was from Brazil and was on New York for a busin...

The place we were going, we had never heard of at least most of us except for Mariana, she was really into New York, her mom had been born here and lived most of her life until she met her father who was from Brazil and was on New York for a business trip, as they fell in love Mariana's mom gave up her life to live with the person she loved. She came a lot during her childhood to visit her maternal family. She had never been to the restaurant but her grandparents always said that when she was 18 years old they would take her. It was a very fancy place and very expensive as well. Mariana called her grandfather for advice for all of us, of course, we'd be polite but we wanted to check that we didn't need to know something special. They didn't say much other than ordering the actual Asian food and not the common meat because it would be good to cause a good impression since the dinner was with the businessmen that were considering putting money on the show.

Lin Manuel-Miranda picked us up and we were meeting the rest on the restaurant. The ride was awkward at first because we didn't dare to talk because of Lin, however, he was the one to start a conversation. He asked us about past experiences doing professional shows. The only ones who had technically taken part in a professional show were Juan and I. The rest had done in their academy's back home, for the girls, that was Crearte. No one could tell that they did shows from here because of copyrights, especially not in front of Lin who had written many. So instead of saying that they said that it was more of a school that teaches how to prepare songs for auditions and did some scenes either from musicals or movies. He believed it, luckily. After 20 minutes on the car, we arrived at our destination, Hortus NYC restaurant. The restaurant was so big and fancy. It was like taken from a movie, I even told that to my friends.

-Wow, this looks from a movie- I said.

-Well, Mery, that's because in this restaurant many movies have shot scenes.- I heard a voice that I didn't recognize coming from behind me.

I turned around and saw a man in his 40's with an elegant suit. Everyone was as shocked as I was. He introduced himself.

- Hi, I'm Charles and I'm very interested in putting money for this musical, I've worked with Lin in all his projects. I've done my homework and learned your names, I think that I aimed it with Mery, right?- he said confidently.

-Yes sir, you did, I'm Mery.- I said with my voice trembling.

We went in and ordered beverages while we waited for two more guests. We didn't know who they were but we knew that two people were missing because of the empty seats on the table. About ten minutes later we saw a man and a woman coming to our table, we all recognized the woman, she was Lin's wife. When she got to the table she told Lin that she had left the children at the night care from the restaurant, apparently, they came a lot to that restaurant and knew the workers. The man wasn't as formal as Charles, his hair was messy and curly, in a tone of umber brown. He had a very attractive smile, contrarily to Charles, he didn't inspire fear but confidence, yet also respect.

- Hi, I'm Mark, Charles subordinate, I've been working for him since I ended high school. I am very anxious to see what this project is about. I'm a great fan of musical theatre and specially done by teenagers. - he introduced himself.

When he finished talking we called for a waiter so as to order our food and start discussing business, at least the adults were going to discuss business and we were supposed to pay attention.