7. Paimon's fate

She was somewhat surpised by the sudden volunteer. Sure, he was passionate about hunting and fighting, but he's the type to never get into trouble unnecessarily.

"I- Is that so? Well then, choosing you to be the general seems to be a good option, seeing as you're the most skillful hunter here, but are you sure? There will be risks along the way. You will bear full responsibility for the army's wellbeing. There's no turning back now."

She asks just to make sure. She knew how he hates being the centre of attention, but she also thought that he is definitely up for the task.

"Hmph. If I can't do at least this much, then I'd rather give up my hunting career right now."

Seeing his resolve, she finally appoints him as the general.

The squad isn't built yet, but their plan is to focus on long range attacks as they are physically weak. Bows are going to be mass produced seeing as they are going to be the most important one. Of course, close ranged weapons like swords and polearms are not to be ignored, but the production would be less, mainly for the stronger elves there. They wouldv'e liked to use magic, but their best mage there can only use healing magic. So that's out of the equation.

They discussed other roles and times for all the important activities that will take place in the coming days. The training will start the next morning. The amount
of soldiers that wants to be in the army are surprisingly high, exceeding 2000. All of them would be divided by four teams to keep a look out on all directions of the island.

The meeting ends as soon as they finished discussing about the details. Being suddenly forced to carry a huge burden is definitely hard and tiring for Paimon, though she is set on defending their home from the impending doom. What puts her at ease however is when Kimaris showed his charisma, which she rarely sees. She though that he was someone else back there. Bebal and Abalam are also able to lend Paimon a hand in case a problem occurs.

"Already relaxing, huh?" Kimaris, with his arrogant look, approached Paimon.

"Shut it. Paimon just had to do what needs to be done. It's not like Paimon agreed with your viewpoint or anything!"

"Hmph, being naive as always. Though, I'll let this slide since you've actually done something useful for our race for 'once'." he emphasised.

"Excuse me? Paimon had always been useful for everyone here, not like a certain someone who's only hobby is killing animals."

"Well, at least what I'm doing fills everyone's stomach, even yours as well. I'm pretty sure that 80% of your food are from my own work."

"Umuu~" she pouts since she doesn't know how to refute him. One of the reasons why she hates him so much.

"Oh. Now that I've volunteered myself as the general of the army, you probably need to be taken care of like a baby so that you wont starve to death."

"Hey! Paimon can take care of herself!"

He laughed hysterically. Seeing this, she was displeased.

"Either way, to tell you the truth, I've been curious about one thing. I just can't understand about this and wanted to know."

She raised her eyebrows.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb on me. I know you're hiding something. You never would've done what I always wanted before. But you suddenly had a change of heart. Seems fishy, and I bet everyone feels the same as well."

She suddenly frowned, though she already knew that he would find something weird about this sudden change. It's just that she didn't expect that he would sense it THAT fast.