25 | don't let go

Haeyoung's P.O.V.

I was staring out the taxi's window as I made my way to K Corporations. Of course, I wouldn't let this pass by so easily...

Today at work, the atmosphere was somehow heavy and uneasy. Most of my colleagues tried not to make it too obvious and be discreet, but I could clearly sense the awkwardness in the air. Besides that, I tried to be patient and wait till I finish my shift to go ask Jongin for some explanations. 

I got off the car, paid the driver and made my way up right away, since no one prevented me from doing it — my pictures were everywhere! Anyone would recognize me and I don't think I enjoy such an exposure...
"Good evening, Mr. Seo", I told Jongin's secretary as he was wearing his jacket , obviously ready to go home.

"Oh, hello, Ms. Kim. How are you?", he smiled, caught off guard.

"I'm pretty, good, thank you", I smiled back. "Is my brother still here?"

"Yes, he's in his office", he extended his hand and pointed Jongin's office door.

"Thank you. Have a good night!"

"You too, miss!"

I knocked on his door and heard a weak 'yes'.

I entered the room after his permission and he looked quite surprised when he saw me. "Haeyoungie, what are you doing here?"

"Don't call me 'Haeyoungie' and all this stuff. I'm mad at you".

"Haeyoung, I was trying to help-"

"No, you didn't help. You made everything worse! Why hadn't you informed me before you did anything? That was so selfish of you..."

"Haeyoung!" he cut me off and walked to me. "Let me explain first before you judge me".

I sighed and sat at the sofa. Jongin followed my action and sat next to me.

"Look, as your elder brother, I have the obligation to protect you and do anything to keep you safe. At least, that's how I see it".

"But I'm not an object, Jongin. I have my own will and you should respect my opinion, especially in a severe matter that involves me. You preferred the simple way. You listened to what Wheein told and you didn't even think about what your sister has to say".

"Let Wheein out of this. She told me, because she cares about you. I decided to tell the police".

"Don't defend her! She betrayed my secret", I muttered frustrated.

"Haeyoung, do you love him?" Jongin asked me out of the blue.

"Yes", I answered assertively. "I do".

"Haeyoungie, being in love with your kidnapper isn't normal", he murmured shaking his head.

What does he mean? Why isn't it normal? He is a man and I fell in love with him.

"Why?"

"You can't love a person that did such horrible things to you... You think that you love him, but you actually don't".

"What- I don't understand what you mean..."

As he kept talking, I got more and more confused.

"This love is unhealthy, Haeyoung. It is called the Stockholm Syndrome".

What?! I've heard of this syndrome before, but no... I'm not sick... That's something totally different.

"Jongin, I'm not sick!" I grumbled.

"No, I didn't say that-"

"You implied it though!" I yelled gradually losing my patience.

"You may need some medication! You have to visit a doctor... and stop seeing Lee Taemin".

"No way! I'm not leaving Taemin alone. Forget it! And I won't take any medicine, because I do not need them!" I stood up. "I'm returning to my house. I'll get my things from your apartment tomorrow", I murmured grabbing the doorknob.

"You're not going anywhere!", I heard Jongin's strict yelling voice.

I turned around and chuckled at his words. "Excuse me?!"

"I said you're not going anywhere. You're staying at my apartment, where you're safe. I won't give up so easily".

"You can't interfere in my life!", I objected my face turning red out of anger.

"As far as you don't go the easy road, I'll make you walk the hard one".

"Jongin, what-"

"I want you to get well, Haeyoung. I won't lose my other sister too".

•°•

I held back my tears as Jongin's car was driven back home. I visited a psychologist. And I was indeed diagnosed with the Stockholm Syndrome.

I still don't believe this is all a trick of my brain and that I don't have any real feelings towards Taemin. And of course, I don't believe that some pills will cure my love for him.

But maybe I should just wait and see, since I don't have a choice anyway. I'm still mad at Jongin and Wheein though. They apologized to me a lot of times, but I'm not sure if I should forgive them just now.

Jongin took my hand in his and caressed it. I accepted his act, even though I didn't respond.

I wasn't allowed to go to work or visit Taemin either, because I shouldn't 'discompose' myself. All I knew about his case was through the news. His trial was scheduled for next week, even though there wasn't enough evidence, since I refused to testify against him.

We arrived at Jongin's block of flats and I got off the car and that's when I saw Wheein standing in front of the building.

I sighed slipping my hands in my coat's pockets and walking with slow steps to her.

"Hi", she stuttered slightly smirking.

"Hi", I said coldly.

She made a big pause not knowing what to say. "Umm, how are you?"

"I've been better in the past, but I keep fighting".

She nodded. "Look, I'm being really cliche, but I wanted to apologize again... I won't stop until you forgive me".

"No need", I said indifferently.

"What?" she asked confused while she gave a surprised look at Jongin, who was standing behind me.

"There's no need to do this again and again. It's tiring. I forgive you both".

"Like- For real?" Her eyes shined and she grinned widely.

"Yeah...", I smirked.

"Oh my God! Thank you, Haeyoung! Thank you!" she hugged me tightly. Then, I felt another pair of hands around me, which belonged to Jongin as he was enjoying this moment silently.

I should forgive them. They are my family, after all.