26 | start over

4 years later

Taemin's P.O.V.

"Your stuff", the man threw me a big almost empty sack with the clothes I wore when I first came to prison.

I caught it in the air and immediately got rid of those ridiculous clothes I've been wearing for years and changed into my own clothes. After that, I made my way towards the exit, accompanied by an officer.

The guards on the door unlocked it and I exited this awful place with quick big steps without looking back.

The air out here is fresher. Or that's what I thought. Where should I go now? Doyoung and Jaehyun don't know that I am released today and I don't have any money...

Ahh... I guess I should just walk.

I walked till Han river and I was extremely exhausted. I decided to take some rest and then continue walking.

I stood on a little bridge and leaned on the railing staring at the view of the blooming almond trees. I closed my eyes for a bit concentrating on the sounds around me; the strong wind blowing through the almond trees, the water running across the river under my feet, small children screaming and laughing while playing.

And all of a sudden, when I felt completely peaceful and calm, I heard something specific that made my heart beat fast in my chest.

"Haeyoung!"

My eyes opened widely shocked by what I have just heard. Maybe I was just imagining things... But no, the male voice that called that name before insisted and yelled that same name again. What if it was just a coincidence? There are lots of Haeyoungs in Korea,.. right?

I slowly turned around and scanned the space around me looking for a sign of the Haeyoung I know.

And that's when I saw her. She had cut her hair short, up to her shoulders, but that was the only thing that changed about her. She was still as unique and beautiful as I remembered her. Hearing her name being called out, she turned around excited, her eyes glimmering at the sight of someone. She smiled widely and ran towards him hugging him tightly and locking her lips with his...

My heart skipped some beats and my face became pale like a peace of paper due to my shock. I tightened my fists trying to distract myself from the pain I felt in my chest.

Absolutely clueless, she held her boyfriend's hand and walked along the river. She looked up the morning sky and she lowered her eyes slowly, this action of her resulting in our gazes meeting one another.

•°•

Haeyoung's P.O.V.

Me and my fiancé had decided to go for a walk at Han river. It's been quite a long time since we last visited this place and this time of the year is just perfect.

"Haeyoung!", I heard Ten yell.

I turned around smirking at him and ran towards him. He opened his arms for me embracing me and kissing my lips softly.

"Hello, my fiancée", he teased me.

"Hello, my fiancé", I played along.

"So, what are we gonna do?"

"I don't know... Let's just walk for now", I said and he intertwined his fingers with mine.

I raised my eyes to the sky staring at the beauty of it and I examined the landscape. At that moment, I saw a very familiar figure that I immediately recognized even after all these years. My gaze locked with his and I couldn't move. You could clearly sense his pain and disappointment through his eyes.

It was Lee Taemin. My first love. My first kiss. My first time. He was my everything... And I don't even know if I have got over him yet... Is he still my everything?... But no, Haeyoung! You can't think like that! Because now, you're engaged to Ten and you're trying to start over. You don't wanna go back to those days, so pull yourself together!

"Baby, what happened? Are you okay?" Ten looked at me concerned.

"Nah, I'm okay. I was just thinking about something..." I told him lightly.

"But, baby, you got all pale..." he cupped my face with his hands.

"It's nothing... Don't worry. I just got a bit distracted... What were you saying?" I said as I began walking.

"Should we buy ice cream or is it too cold to do that?"

"It's never too cold to eat ice cream. Let's go!" I giggled.

"That's my girl!" he laughed and put his arm around my shoulders.

I looked over the bridge Taemin stood, but he was nowhere to be seen... He disappeared in some seconds. Just like that.

•°•

I was currently laying on my bed twisting my engagement ring around my finger, lost in my thoughts.

What was the last time I saw him? Oh, yes... It was at in court... That time when I sneaked out to attend Taemin's trial.

I remember it as if it happened yesterday. I was so afraid of what would happen to Taemin that my whole body had shivered. Despite my fear, I had to stand in front of the jury and defend Taemin as well as I could.

I said he had never touched me. That he hadn't hurt me in any way. That he was nice and kind to me. That it was my choice to stay with him and he hadn't made me stay by force. Of course, a lot of questions like "Why have you trusted him so easily?", "Wasn't you scared at first? Haven't you tried to escape?" or "Why did you eventually came back?" tried to make me stubble and trip me up, but I answered to all of them.

I believed and still do that my testimony wasn't fully taken into account, because the judge sentenced Taemin to 3 years and 10 months in jail. It was awful... I couldn't even comprehend it. His last words lingered in my mind: "Love me till the day you completely forget all your memories of me. Only then I'll give up on you. I love you."

"Baby, what's up with you? You're constantly out to lunch today..." Ten remarked as he stepped outside the bathroom.

"Yeah, I'm a little moody... I don't know why", I whined.

Ten smirked and leaned over me whispering seductively: "My baby is moody... What should I do about it?"

I chuckled wrapping my arms around him. "What do you suggest?"

He got my glasses off and left them on the nightstand.

"I mean-... I have something in mind..."