Chapter 24: Home Sweet Home

Vincent was gone as promised. He must have slipped out before I woke up, because the house was empty. I'd made sure to check every inch of the interior. But it'd seem he left a note. I found it on the floor of my room when I'd found the strength to climb back upstairs. I wasn't sure how I managed to step over it when I left. He must have slid it under the door. I hadn't heard him do that though. So much for putting my good senses to use.

The refrigerator's been restocked with food prepared for you to eat. So, there's no need for you to make a mess. If you should find yourself in any trouble, use the emergency contacts on the door to my office. OR just yell for the guards. Claudia will be in and out to check on you. Stay indoors while I'm gone. And don't break anything in my house, Genesis. I will return later in the evening.

Vincent

"Have you so little faith in me?" I rolled my eyes and tossed the note to the side. My damp clothing stuck to my body uncomfortably. I cringed at my bags in the corner full of dirty clothes, from where I stood in the doorway. "Ugh. Why am I so sweaty? I need a shower."

Dammit. I knew I'd eventually run out of clothes to wear, though I'd brought so many from home. I should have asked him if there was a washer-machine or a dryer in here. How did they wash their clothes? More specifically, him.

"What the hell am I supposed to do to keep myself busy while you're gone?" I blew out a sigh, rubbing my hands over my arms.

November thirteenth must have been a day more important than I thought, for Vincent to wake up and drag himself out of the house that early in the morning, on a Friday. It was for something other than alpha duties too, or so I'd been told. That's what made it alarming.

No one said anything about his absence. Had he always gone MIA on this specific day? It seemed like it. The pack's been moving as normal. His house was loneliest when it was empty. It was just as lonely yesterday when Calamitous gathered to lay the three bodies to rest.

I'd been invited to the ceremony. But I'd also been given the option to stay behind. I'd chosen that option. I didn't care to risk the chances of running into Hudson again, nor did I want to intrude on something that felt so personal to the pack.

My eyes scoped out the interior of the hallway. "It's so creepy in here. . ." I mumbled.

There weren't any windows with curtains to open, so it was washed over in complete darkness. Mostly in the area near his room and his office, per usual. I wasn't sure how Vincent lived here alone on a daily basis. I knew, for sure, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I'd always thought it was weird that alphas lived alone.

Was this how it worked for all of them? Did some of them share a house with their officials? Could some of them have been expected to find a mate, settle down, and start a family in these houses? The possibilities went on forever. I couldn't imagine Vincent doing any of that though. Especially not the whole family, mate thing. He most definitely wasn't a family man.

"Whatever then." I sighed. I returned inside the room and flopped back on the bed, my body bouncing in the air a little. Five minutes. Thirty minutes. Sixty minutes. That was how much time had passed.

Sometime in between, I'd fallen asleep for a few minutes, while the sound of the door knob jiggling downstairs woke me. It sounded as though someone had inserted a key into the keyhole. I'd jumped off the bed, tip-toeing to the door, and placed my ear to it.

I was quiet, unmoving, waiting for the person's scent to reach my nose. When the door downstairs closed behind them; it made a soft click. Then, I smelled her when she neared the bottom of the stairs. Her light footsteps confirmed my suspicions.