Chapter 42: The Truth

"Genesis, how are you hanging in there?" My nose scrunched at Amaury's question. I'm sure it was in good faith but truthfully? The cold was starting to get to me. My head was woozy, and there was a low growl rumbling deep within my stomach. His voice was the only thing keeping me afloat. Some food would be nice. Maybe some water too.

"I'm breathing, I suppose." I sighed.

"Fair enough. And your side? Your ankle?"

"They've both stopped throbbing. Now they're just red and sore."

"Genesis, I am worried about your condition. . ."

"There's not much to do, is there? Besides, wait it out and hope for the best." I knew I wasn't being the most helpful but my mental and emotional capacity was at its limit for the day. "If Bennett or either of those Erebus wolves catch me, I'm toast. I'm already cornered."

"We need to formulate a plan," Amaury urged.

"Amaury—" A long drawn-out howl, somewhere in the distance, reached me in the tunnel. I looked both ways, my body on high alert. At first, I was prepared to write it off as a wolf I didn't know, or perhaps I should say, a wolf that I didn't care to welcome. But after hearing it again, I realized the howl wasn't so unfamiliar. In fact, I was drawn to it. It was coming from deep in the middle of the woods; further up the mountain, from the direction of Calamitous. Then, it clicked.

Vincent. It had to be him. He sounded just as he did the very same night Claudia and I talked in his home, and he called to her. I hadn't known it was him howling that time around. I knew now, however, it was his wolf. I could feel the power oozing from his calls. But rather than a cry for help, it sounded like a desperate plea. Something only shared between mates, it felt.

Amaury inhaled, then said, "He's looking for you."

"I know. . ." I frowned, struggling to my feet.

"He must have noticed you were gone too long."

"Amaury, what do I do? I can't howl back! It'll draw too much attention." Another lengthy howl bled into the tunnel, this time, accompanied by others. A pause, then a breath. "Amaury, he's not alone. . ." It pained me not to respond. Probably as much as it pained him that I wasn't.

Amaury remained silent; his mind most likely gearing up for a motivational response. I took that as my chance to observe my surroundings within the tunnel—more thoroughly this time. There was the entrance of the tunnel I came in through. Then, there was the route delving deeper into the darkness where I already found myself stranded. How far back did this tunnel go?

I turned towards the darker end. "Amaury, do you know what's down this end?"

"Further into the darkness?" he asked, cautiously.

"Mhm-hmm."

"Vincent and I . . . have never been that way."

"Not even out of curiosity?"

"No," he said.

I nodded slowly. "Is it possible this tunnel connects to Calamitous?"

"No, we have a map drawing out all the locations and routes of Calamitous' underground tunnel system. This tunnel would have been listed as a part of the chain but it is not."

"Then, is it possible there's a way out? This is a tunnel, not a cave, right? Tunnels usually have two exits. If this side leads closer to Havford, then maybe the other side leads closer to the pack. If Vincent and company are coming down the mountain, we can meet them halfway up."

"Is that a risk you're willing to take in your condition?" There was no trace of him mocking me, only pure worry. I looked down at my injuries, then back into the darkness.