Chapter 43: Blood For Blood

I couldn't fathom the tension building up between the two men who had their guards up. Bennett was the focal point of Vincent's attention. He was on high alert, waiting for Bennett to possibly make a run for it as Bennett sat, staring into the distance, on a nearby rock. But Bennett remained motionless and quiet. I'd have honestly thought he was dead. Really though, he probably knew Vincent wouldn't hesitate to hurt him the next time—if given the opportunity.

I tried to make myself comfortable on the ground for the time being; with my back against a tree, and my ankle leveled out in front of me. That, however, didn't work as much as I'd have hoped. I'd clench my eyes and hiss whenever a breeze touched my skin.

Vincent frowned at me, a sigh already stirring in his chest. I already knew what he was going to say. The four of us had formulated a plan. Amaury, Vincent, Bennett, and myself. Vincent and Bennett were the distraction. Amaury and I were the purpose. He'd been sulking about my decision to go since we walked back down the mountain. But the fact of the matter was, we needed Amaury. And I was the only one who could get in contact with him as I pleased.

Vincent shook his head and walked towards me, stooping to my level. My body tensed when he lifted my ankle. Gently, he rotated it side to side. Then, the sigh I'd been awaiting came out. His frown deepened as he placed my ankle back on the ground. He mumbled, "Genesis, I still do not feel comfortable with you putting yourself in danger again."

"You need me. Remember?" I nudged his hand with a small smile. Bennett snuck a peek at us through his peripheral view. But he quickly averted eye contact when our eyes met. He stared into space again. This time, with a frown on his face. That was the remorse he had to live with.

Vincent sighed again, before muttering, "Unfortunately." He looked over at Bennett again, whilst standing back up straight. "So, the cottage is a little ways through these trees?"

"Correct," answered Bennett, his voice low. "We should start moving out. The new moon is beginning to rise, and you're going to need that if you want to cast the reversal spell."

His words caused me to look up. It hadn't dawned on me that darkness was beginning to settle in above us. It couldn't have been that late in the day. When I left Calamitous, it had just reached the afternoon. But it was December, after all. The skies were expected to dim earlier in the day.

"What do you mean?" Vincent folded his arms.

Bennet turned his head again, the most distant look in his eyes. "Tonight's new moon is what my mother has been preparing for this month. It is the only way she's able to cast her spells."

"Of course." Amaury's voice filled my head. "Whatever spell she used must have had specific limitations and specific requirements. Like needing to be cast under the new moon."

"And you've been helping her with that as well?" When Bennett didn't answer, Vincent muttered, "So, that's why you disappeared."

Bennett, ignoring his comment, continued, "There is a huge possibility that she'll be expecting us already. We need to be prepared in case that happens."

"Well, the three of us have made it this far without complications. If she's expecting us, then it's probably another ambush. She's inviting us in," Vincent responded.

"Guess it's time for round two then." I sighed and staggered to my feet. "More than likely, there are shadows running rampant around the cottage. The ones I saw earlier, and maybe more."

"You are correct, Genesis"—Bennett finally stood to join us—"which is exactly why you need to be on the lookout for them and any Erebus wolves while sneaking in. We can take on my mother and stall her focus for long enough. But they'll be roaming freely. If they catch you, they'll alert her. Then, we'll have a bigger issue on our hands."