Chapter 36: Friend or Foe

Vincent knew something was wrong. Ever since he returned to his office five days ago, and I'd been stuck so deep in shock that I'd forgotten how to interact with him, he knew. But I didn't know how else to react. How was I supposed to react? Talk to him, one of the voices in my head insisted. Don't, the doubtful voice pleaded its case. Both were very convincing.

Way to get caught in the middle, Genesis.

The first day, he brushed it off. By the third day, I figured he had doubts. The fourth day, his irritation began to seep in. Today was the fifth day, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he thought I was purposely maintaining a distance. He wouldn't have been wrong either.

I'd tried to act normal. Tried to be my sassy, go-lucky self. Really, I did. But my efforts made no difference. Because it wasn't working and I was sure he'd noticed. Hell, I noticed too. I was poking fun at him less. Talking to him less. Smiling at him less. I was doing everything less. All I could think to do was avoid him and give him the cold shoulder. Dodging any interactions that hadn't involved Amaury. Not on purpose. It was a defense mechanism that reacted on its own.

Because after all, I wanted to believe he had nothing to do with my laptop in his ceiling. But this situation made me realize, no matter how much our relationship had changed—or how much it felt like our relationship had changed, it wasn't like we'd built trust on a strong foundation. And the circumstances hadn't changed. There were still doubts to be had.

At the moment, I could only think of two outcomes. The positive outcome: I confronted him and learned this was all just a misunderstanding. The negative outcome: I confronted him and learned this was not a misunderstanding, and he indeed intended to frame me. I feared the consequences that might've followed option two more.

The worst downside though? It wasn't just Vincent I had distanced myself from. Apparently, I had distanced myself from everyone. Case in point: The group walked several feet ahead as I hung back. It was rare for Vincent, Bennett, Claudia, Mariah, Dylan, and Dimitri to be spotted together as a group. But they were making rounds around town for whatever reason, and I just so happened to be here too. I'd like to say I tagged along, but really, I had been dragged along.

It was now half past six in the evening, and we were walking back in the direction of the Alpha residence. A dark blue sky glowed above our heads, resembling a blank slate. It was hard to tell there were still a few hours left in the day. I could overhear their conversation ahead.

"I think we're done for today," Mariah announced.

"Yeah, I think so too. We need to restock on meat in a few of the markets," Claudia said.

"Got that covered," Bennett replied.

"The outer barriers also need to be replaced before winter hits," Claudia added.

"I'll make sure that's handled," Vincent chimed in, then glanced to the side. "Can you lend a helping hand, Dylan? Dimitri?"

"Yes," the pair answered.

I inserted my hands into my back pockets and stayed quiet. Briefly, Vincent and I's eyes met as he checked back over his shoulder. A frown formed in between his eyebrows when he noticed how far back I was. He didn't have time to act upon it though because Claudia continued to list issues that needed to be resolved within Calamitous. From time to time, I could still feel his eyes lingering on me. I tried my best not to pay him any mind though.

This seemed to only fuel his determination and confirm whatever suspicions he's had. I noticed when he narrowed his eyes. Mariah, having noticed our exchange per usual, fell back from the group, unnoticed. She then proceeded to await my arrival. At first, there was silence. Our footsteps fell in sync as she copied my stance—slipping her hands into her back pockets.