Vincent - Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

My chair creaked as I leaned back, pushing all of my weight into the cushion. I pinched the bridge of my nose and let out a rugged breath. The clock ticked, as if to complete my torture. But I tried my best to ignore it. It was well past time that I should have been done playing catch-up.

How long could I hide in my office before Mariah, Bennett, or Claudia dragged me out of here? I contemplated. They knew I was hiding in here under the guise of doing work. Every time they stepped in here, my frustration radiated off me in waves—even though I tried so hard not to let it. Why was I so frustrated? Perhaps because I stupidly let my guard down the other day.

"What is it now?" I grumbled at the commotion irritating my ears; a mix of Genesis yelling my name, and pounding on the door.

"Hey, Vincent! It's an emergency!"

An emergency?

My eyes nearly rolled to the back of my head. Maybe if I ignored her for long enough, she'd give up. Contrary to my belief, her voice only grew louder. Another sigh eased past my lips as I jumped up and stormed towards the door. The door slammed behind me. My irritation seeped through my footsteps, stomping into the floor. Good. She stopped yelling at least.

"Whoa," she squealed as I swung the door open to her room and wrapped my hands around her wrists to stop her annoying banging. Genesis' mouth opened and closed. She stared. A little too hard for my liking. I hated the way I fell under her control with just a look. Regardless, I hid my discomfort with anger.

"What the hell is your deal!?" I growled.

"I have something important to tell you." She straightened her stance.

"What is so important that you're willing to take down the door to get my attention?"

"Um, well. . ." She drifted off.

By now, I learned most of Genesis' behavioral patterns. She avoided eye contact when she knew whatever she might say might not sit well with me. So, I cut straight to the chase.

"You've caused trouble, haven't you?"

"No!" She snatched her wrists out of my grip. I crossed my arms and tilted my head. She bowed her head as if she'd been caught in a web of lies. "It wasn't my fault. . ."

"So, what is it? Come on, Genesis, I don't have all day."

"Geez, you're so snappy today. You know, I really don't appreciate your attitude." She hugged herself with a frown. The guilt in my chest was loud but thankfully she couldn't hear it.

"Genesis," I warned.

"My mom wants to see me," she blurted.

"Tell her you can't," I demanded.

"I did."

"And?"

"She's still coming."

My breath hitched. This could not be happening.

"You're not allowed to leave the premises," I argued.

"I know, but wait!" I glanced down at her hands, steadying me in place, then up at her face. I raised an eyebrow at her sheepish smile. Fuck, this was bad. Even if she had no idea how much I liked her touching me, she didn't seem to mind it either.

"You're getting far too comfortable doing this. . ." I said, calmly.

"Come with me . . . as my chaperone," she suggested.

"Genesis, how many times do I have to remind you? I am not a babysitter. No."

"Please? Don't be like that." She stuck out her bottom lip. No matter how cute her pout was, the answer was still no.