Chapter 22: Someone's Watching

I slid off the edge of my bed, down onto the floor, with my back against the front side of the bed. My hands picked at the stretchy material of my black jeans, covering my thighs. It made a popping noise just like an elastic rubber-band when I let go.

"Congrats, looks like you're a significant part of the pack now," said Amaury.

"Significant? I couldn't disagree more." I scoffed. "I'm sure there's people here who still want to kill me with their bare hands."

"There will always be people who dislike you no matter what you do, Genesis."

I threw my head back and let out a quiet groan. "Must you always chime in with your deep life advice?"

Amaury drawled out, "Huh, is that what you'd call it?"

I huffed and said, "Yes, sometimes, you're too wise for your own good."

"Do you truly believe that or is that one of those defensive responses you throw out?" I imagined the glint in his eyes, shredding me down to my bones for the truth, as he asked that. It was both a wicked and useful power he possessed to read people like that.

"It's all in your head," I mumbled, crossing my arms.

"If you say so." His drawn-out laugh rang through my head, light and easy on the ears.

"Amaury, I've been thinking about what you told me when we first talked." I curled into a ball with my knees against my chest, and rested my head against the top of my knees.

"Oh? And what is that?" His laughter faded.

"You predicted someone was playing puppeteer through all of this. I put some thought into that and, whoever stabbed you, could've been someone in Calamitous, couldn't they?"

"Yes, that is a possibility," he said.

"But it could've also been someone from a different pack. Maybe one of the alpha's you've met with over the years. Close allies"—I fixed myself so that I was lying out straight on the floor—"someone who would have had the opportunity to betray you. This person didn't have to know where you were going because they followed you. It could've been anyone, really."

"Yes, I've thought about that too," he hummed in agreement.

"So, what are you thinking? Have you thought of anyone?"

There was a pause, then a brief sigh. "Not exactly. . ."

"Darn. So much for brainstorming."

"Have there been any more Erebus wolf sightings close or on Calamitous territory?"

"Hmm, no. Not that I know of," I answered.

"Hmm, if I were able to retrace my steps from that night, it could be of use to us. However, my memory is still foggy. What about the voices of the shadow? Have you been able to trace it back to that location you drew?"

"No, not at all." This time, it was I, who sighed. "It's close though. No doubt about it."

"And I suppose you still haven't gone through with your plan to tell Vincent." There was a knowing, almost accusing, tone to his words.

"I know, I know. I suck. You don't have to say it."

"You don't suck. You do, however, have a knack for procrastinating," Amaury corrected.

"Rub it in, why don't you?" My eyes rolled.

"If you were to tell him soon, knowing Vincent, he would more than likely make the decision to expand the sweeps. You told me Vincent has been sending troops on sweeps nearly every night, on Calamitous grounds, within the town and the forest area.