Chapter 7: Test of Loyalty

"Mom, for the last time, I'm fine. Please, just drop it," I grunted.

"Excuse me? Did you just tell me to drop it, young lady?" I flinched at her tone. That was the scolding voice I knew all too well. The one that said you better start talking to me like you got some sense, loud and clear.

"Mom, I told you, my phone broke. I'm going to be without one for a while and—"

"So, you couldn't ask someone to borrow their phone and give me a call? You haven't been in contact with me for days." Her voice hadn't let up. "I've been worried sick over here. I put out a police report and everything on you!"

I removed the phone from my ears, scrunching my nose. "You did what!?"

"I called the cops!" she exasperated. "What else was I supposed to do?"

"You didn't think to drive over here and see if I was okay or something?" I wouldn't have been here anyways. But she didn't need to know that.

"That's why I called the cops! Jesus, child. You're going to get an earful from your father later. I'm just glad my baby is okay. Next time, you need to find a way to get in contact with me sooner. Got me losing my mind over here, worrying about you. Making my blood pressure go up. Don't you think my blood pressure is high enough?" She sighed, dramatically.

"Listen mom, I'm sorry. I got to go, okay? I'll make sure to try and get in contact with you later. Love you, bye." I hung up before she could respond. She was going to murder me. But I guess I'd rather have died by the hands of my mother than strangers.

Claudia's eyes roamed over my small, studio-sized apartment. It had one kitchen, one bedroom, barely a bathroom, and a living room that I was perfectly fine with. Too bad I was one-month overdue on rent and still without a job. I guess I could kiss the job search goodbye though. I might have had to kiss this apartment goodbye soon too.

It took a lot of lot of convincing and pestering in the tunnel last night. But I hadn't given up until he agreed to allow me to retrieve some of my belongings. Too bad I couldn't fight my way out of the option for an escort. At least, we were making progress. Nowhere near my innocence though, sadly. I'd later found out there was no opening on the other end of the tunnel. So, I couldn't have made a run for it if I wanted to. I was glad I hadn't tried.

I wish I could have been honest with my mother. But my family wasn't worth dragging into my situation. I loved them too much to put them in harm's way. Knowing my mom, she would have fought tooth and nail to bail me out. But this wasn't something she could storm her way through, unless she wanted to be ravished by a pack of wolves.

"Is everything fine?" Claudia asked. Her hands were folded behind her back, and her steps were slow, as she paced around the living room.

"Just peachy." I sighed. "What are you looking at over there?"

"You have exquisite taste. . ." She smiled. "This place is so small but it looks so luxurious. I admire the way you've tidied up the place to make it your own. You've got a knack for design."

"Uh, thanks. I guess?" I shrugged. "It's nothing much, really. It's all simplistic."

"I like simplistic," she said, her smile broadening.

"Oh, really? By the way, um, thanks for letting me borrow your phone."

"It was no problem, really. Anyways, are you all set to go?" She removed the phone from my outstretched hand, slipping it into her back pocket.

"Yeah, I suppose." After one last glance around, I dragged the few bags I packed out the door. Claudia traveled behind me. Her body heat caressed the back of my neck. That was how close she was. I tensed and massaged the back of my neck.