Vincent - Void

My eyes roamed the ruins of my childhood lying before me once more. The remainder of my former pack, Valor, was a waste land. Still, I ran to this place every year. I wasn't sure why.

Being here wasn't healthy but it was a ritual. A way for me to mend things with the past, dare I say. Not that there was much to mend. She abandoned me and I never saw my pack again. And there was no one left. That was all. Lady Teresa loved to point out my unresolved abandonment issues. However, I liked to live in delusion that there was nothing wrong with me.

Sometimes, it just felt better that way.

I sighed and took a step back.

One day, I'd break away from this place. I had no idea when—but I needed to stop living in the torture. I shook my head and shifted into my wolf form. The run back did little to calm my nerves. But at least I wasn't as tense as I was when I woke up and left Calamitous.

The house was quiet when I entered. Good, perhaps Genesis was asleep. That meant I didn't have to face her—I didn't think I could handle another encounter between us. It'd seem I spoke too soon though because as I passed Genesis' room, the door flew wide open.

"Happy birthday!" she stumbled out and blurted.

I stiffened.

This would have been my chance to walk into my room and pretend I didn't hear her. It'd have made no difference to me. But something possessed me to look at her. There was a brief moment of silence between us. I tilted my head, eyeing her closely.

"Claudia told you, didn't she?" She's the only one I could think would have.

Genesis scratched the back of her head, avoiding my eyes. I sighed.

"You don't need to acknowledge the day, Genesis. . . You don't even have to say the words."

"Hmm, maybe you're right. After all, you did have me chained to a radiator. Perhaps, I should take my happy birthday back then. I'm not sure you deserve my kindness," she said.

I leaned against my bedroom door, my heavy stare never letting up. "You don't even have to say the words . . . but thank you for saying the words. . ."

"Oh? That's more like it." Her beaming smile enticed me.

"You didn't let me finish." I chuckled.

"Ah, but it got you to lighten up though, didn't it?" She wagged her eyebrows at me.

"Lighten up? You've got a weird perception of me." I scoffed.

"I'm just trying to do whatever it takes to get on your good side," she said, winking.

"Just so you know, I've been seriously contemplating putting you on a bedtime curfew. I think I will, starting tonight." The urge to smile was strong but I held it in.

"A curfew to go to sleep? Like locking me in the room again?" Her eyes flew wide.

"That isn't exactly what I had in mind. But that can be arranged." I shrugged.

"No! Not allowed! I am an adult. You'll have to force my cold, dead body."

I returned her wink. "That can be arranged as well."

Maybe I was enjoying our banter a little too much.

"Darn. You're still good looking with an attitude that sucks," she mumbled. "All of you are wicked. The whole lot of you."

This time, I couldn't help it. I laughed.

Genesis took a cautious step forward. "Um, are you going to sleep now?"