17

~17~

~17~

Nothing ever goes to plan, does it?

No matter what, the universe has a way of launching curveballs at even the most thought out plan. Did I not think everything through? Did I forget a small detail? Where did it all go wrong?

I had it all planned out, from start to finish.

Seeing blood seep through his shirt as he stumbled to the hard concrete, wincing and grasping his side, promptly reminded me that life was unexpected, and even the toughest and smartest people fall..

I just didn't expect it to happen to both of us...

-Hours earlier-

Walking downstairs for the first time in two days I was relieved to find no one home; Besides Maurice. He welcomed me with a warm smile and breakfast, which I gratefully accepted.  Wasn't sure if he had overheard what had gone down a few days ago, but, it didn't matter. He was pretty good at minding his business and not asking questions. Something I obviously couldn't relate to.

"Did I miss anything?" I ask him, taking a bike of my pancakes, cooked to perfection.

Maurie, who was now doing some dishes, shook his head, "No. Though Mr. Brock hadn't been home as much. He's left early and come back late the past two nights."

This I knew. Since our rooms are right next to eachother, I can hear when he leaves and returns home. He indeed hasn't been home that much, like Maurice said, he left early and came home late.

I nod my head and chat with Maurice a little longer before I finish my plate and walk over to put it in the sink. When I did, I was able to unclip Maurices keys from his belt loop and stuff them in my pocket without causing suspicion. I apologized for "running into him", and left the kitchen calmly before waltzing toward the painting wall.

To hide the key, I chose the one Colby had shown me when I first arrived here. It was large and its dark colors ensured me that the light wouldn't create a shadow and possibly reveal the key. I carefully lift the painting from the wall and stuff the key in between the canvas thread and the wood. I straightened out the large image once more before returning to the kitchen and placing the ring of keys on the ground near the sink, that way Maurice would think he simply dropped them while he did the dishes.

Okay, one step complete.

At that moment, the front door opened and a few pairs of footsteps were heard coming from the main area. I turned around in time to see the 4 guys walking into the kitchen, all looking pretty tired. But their tired faces soon turned to both concern and confusion when they saw me.

Even Colby's. Though his was more of a confused and unfazed mix.

I put on a tough face and nod my head towards them.