35

~35~

~35~

There was a long staircase leading up to the main entrance of the Museum. Cars and limos lined up on the street as people of the high class waited to be let out and led up the marble steps. The sun was setting, stars beginning to appear. The sun's rays giving the large building a magical feeling while the colors of orange and yellow reflected off the windows. It was obvious there was a big event going on, even if you had not known about it.

I was let out of the limo first. Our driver extending a hand for me to take as to not risk me falling from the heels. I politely nodded and then moved out of the way, allowing the guys to then exit the vehicle. Colby, then Jake, Sam, and Corey. I smiled at how dashing they all looked, especially Colby. I still couldn't get over the white tux he finally stopped complaining about.

As the driver drove away, we began our walk up to the main floor.

"Is there anything I should expect?" I ask Colby. Walking right next to him allowed me to ask without anyone hearing.

Minus the guys.

He glanced at me, "No. Just that there may be some men here who aren't as respectful towards women. So I suggest you stick by us unless I tell you otherwise."

I nod in understatement. I was very focused on how I was walking, hating every step I took with a passion. Heels weren't for me, I preferred sneaker. My dress was nice though, comfy, flexible, durable. I could wear it all night and not feel the urge to take it off with every restricting breath. Despite the corset, I didn't find it difficult to take long or deep breaths.

Xepher really chose the best dress possible for this.

I guess it needs to be endurable for this job. You never know when you're going to run into trouble. But the gun strapped to my leg made me feel safer than anything. That security of knowing I could protect myself. Though I was going to try shooting for the legs and shoulders now, not wanting to deal with any more guilt of possibly taking a life.

I wasn't about to go through that again.

"Welcome mister Brock." A man greeted us at the door, scrolling through a list before his finger stopped across the page and he looked at us with a straight face.

Colby nodded, guiding us past him when the door was open from inside and we were let inside. Immediately the air got cooler, and everything got a bit more serious.

I felt the need to keep a straight face at the fact that I was definitely the youngest here. We all were, but I was 18 while everyone else was in their early 20's. The people around us though varied from 40-60. Dressed in designer suits and dresses, a lot of people looked normal while others looked like they were ready to shoot someone in the head at all times.

There were two stories. The man floor, the one we were on, full of tall tables with flowered centerpieces and fairy lights. Most of the people were scattered here, talking amongst themselves or whispering secretively to others.