~46~

~46~

            "Why does every party we go to include water in some way? Why, why can't it just all be on land? Normal people stay on land," I drew my shirt back over my body to cover up the emerald green bikini I had on. Morning my head popped back out, I turned to look at Colby as he dressed on the other side of the room.

"Normal people learned to swim at the age of 5, darling. You're the unusual one that learned to climb trees." He looked to me as well, smiling with sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes, "Okay? Climbing trees will one day prove to be very valuable, and I will laugh when that day comes. Just you wait." I walk over just as he sits on the bed to put his shoes on, climbing up behind him and wrapping my arms around his neck, resting my head on his messy mop of hair that he needed to put a comb through before we go.

"I will accept that defeat, when the day comes.
Today, boat party." He sat up properly when his shoes were on and stayed there, looking at me through the mirror ahead of us.

"How does one have a boat party? And why would you think taking the one girl who can't swim to it would be the best idea? Especially when someone is about ready to hang my head on a stick and gift it to you?" I retort. There have been no signs of Mrs. Miller, or the people who shot at us. Even though that's good, I've heard she isn't one to just let things like this go. A party isn't smart, especially if it's not in the safety of this house.

"Because Maurice doesn't qualify as someone who can protect you, sadly."

I scoff, "I'm convinced that man secretly knows karate or something, he's so stealth around the house it scares me." He laughs, "Also, is this thing entirely on boats?"

He shrugs, "It's on a private pier in Santa Monica. Boats- or I guess Yachts -harbor around it and you can sunbathe, drink, swim, or just chill and talk to people. You don't have to be in the water."

I nod, "Okay.. can I bring a book?" I suggest with an ongoing smile.

His lips tilted awkwardly, "A book? C'mon, you don't want to hang out with the girls?"

I shook my head, "I know they're going to want to be in the water, I don't want to be the reason they stay on deck the whole time."

"You know they love you and wouldn't mind that, right?" He quirked an eyebrow.

"They may not mind, but I do. They should have fun, who am I to keep them from that? So, can I bring a book?" I plead with puppy eyes. Imagine reading on the deck of a yacht with the ambiance of simple chatter and music, and crashing waves in the background? A dream to read in that setting.

He gave a sweet smile, then let it drop, "No! You need better social skills."

I groan and roll onto my back with an oomph, "As if I don't know how to talk to people."